A Conversation for Kraft Dinner

Available in the UK

Post 1

Dan Streetmentioner

These are now available in UK supermarkets too. Like most things, they've managed to cross the pond after about ten to fifteen years. And, like most things, they've managed to acquire a steep price hike during the swim. Other examples of such culinary delights to hit the UK are Pop Tarts, Peanut Butter Cups, Oreo cookies and Root beer.

I'd be interested to know if there's anything that Canadians/Americans have discovered over here that they don't have back home.


Available in the UK

Post 2

Moon da Misbegotten

Oh yeah! Okay, UK.-ish and thereabouts foods: your different flavors of potato crisps top ours any day! I hoard two Irish brands (Tayto and K.P) whenever I can find them. I think that Americans are terrified of experimenting with different flavors in our potato chips, like steak flavor, roasted chicken flavor and so on.

Cadbury's "Fuse Bar" is a delicious chocolate concoction that beats out any chocolate I've ever had. (And I love the German "Milka".) We've got Cadbury chocolate in America, but not that bar. I beg my friends to bring me back Fuse bars.

Hmmm... I can't really think of anything else, so I'll stop there.




BNL

Post 3

Steerpike

Don't forget that Kraft Dinner was name checked by Canadian band Barenaked Ladies. It would be thrown on stage during the song.


BNL

Post 4

Jan^

Kraft Dinners make the Pot Noodle seem almost edible. I can't believe I just wrote that - pass the smoked salmon, pleeeease.


easy mac

Post 5

hellingtunfunshunningheimerbomberleafingshrout BUT you can call me rB

Ah, the joys of KD... now these tender morsels of hydrogenated goodness can be found at a taste bud near you in just 5 minutes.
Gannon Jones, product manager for KD in Canada, spoke to us in Leadership class this week about this wonderful new adition to the KD family....EASY MAC...yes, now all you need is a microwave, water and a bowl....you've got KD in 5 minutes.



Available in the UK

Post 6

hellingtunfunshunningheimerbomberleafingshrout BUT you can call me rB

Smarties, although available in Canada ('cause we're great like that) are not available in the States... imagine not being able to get smarties Blizzards??? what a proposterous idea (sorry, for all UK'nians...this marvellous invention by Dairy Queen is not available on your side of the Atlantic... )


Available in the UK

Post 7

loud

English Food you can't get in Canada:

Clubs (particularily Fruit Clubs)
Marks & Spenser's potato rings (they recently closed all Canadian Marks & Sparks and I am having withdrawl symptoms)
Lion Bars
Polos
Good tea

Anyone coming to Toronto from the UK is begged to bring a suitcase full of the above for distribution to starving Canucks
(We will happily trade $0.79 Kraft Dinner and throw in a large Tim Horton's coffee)

Juliette


Available in the UK

Post 8

Barachois

Hear, hear!!
Nothing beats a cuppa Marks and Spencer's Extra Strong tea ("rich,bright and malty"). I hoarded a YEAR's supply when they closed all the Canadian stores. It feels like the colony's been abandoned! Why wouldn't M&S clue in and open a mail order business? Just asking..

I also miss their:

Potato scones
Cheese and Onion Toasties
Batenburg cake
Devon Cream toffees

Other stuff from the UK you can't always find here:
Chocolate-coated Hob-Nobs
Bar Six ( they used to make this bar in Canada years ago, but no longer)
All the little sandwiches they sell at M&S and another sandwich shop in London whose name escapes me .. like Egg and Cress, Chicken Tikka, Bacon and Egg...
Real devon clotted cream
Mmmm.. I wonder how many air miles I have??



Kraft Dinner = Batchelor's Pasta 'N' Sauce

Post 9

Zak T Duck

I'm sure Kraft Dinner has been in the UK for ages, but sold as "Batchelor's Pasta 'N' Sauce".


Kraft Dinner = Batchelor's Pasta 'N' Sauce

Post 10

Dan Streetmentioner

No,no,no,no,no! They're worlds apart. Kraft use much smaller macaroni, and the cheese powder is much stronger (and it comes in a separate sachet instead of being premixed like the Batchelors). Kraft is packaged in a box, unlike the Batchelors. If you've got a decent sized Sainsburys nearby you should be able to find it. They were 99p last time I looked - so not the same bargain they are in Canada.
I lived in Canada for a while and there's a lot I miss. For one thing, the delivery pizzas are the best in the world. I've never had a pizza in England that comes close. And someone mentioned Dairy Queen - my god how I miss Dairy Queen. At least we can buy real maple syrup easily enough now (though at a price). Then there's Tim Horton's donuts, 24 hours a day, oh my. I also used to prefer sparkling grape juice to coca cola, but again that is available in the UK now (though it's not quite the same).

I used to love the Mothers restaurant chain, but I heard they are no more - can someone confirm? - too bad if that's true.


Dunkin' Donuts

Post 11

Jan^

No idea about Mother's, but what about Dunkin' Donuts? We have McDonalds, Pizza Hut and so on, but no Dunkin' Donuts. This is a trajedy. Where are you? I need a donut and that frozen milkshake thing that you do..... pleeeease!


Kraft Dinner = Batchelor's Pasta 'N' Sauce

Post 12

Barachois

Sorry to say Mother's Pizza is long gone ... it was the Best!!!


Kraft Dinner = Batchelor's Pasta 'N' Sauce

Post 13

Vestboy

I haven't been to Canada but I wondered if you had Marmite?
please tick the list below of the things I think you probably don't have but you might surprise me:-

Mushy peas
Black Pudding
Swede
Thorntons Chocolate
Stottie bread/cake
London Pride
Manns Brown Ale
Bernard Matthews... anything!
Urine flavoured peanuts. They don't label them that way but a bit of scientific research found traces of 7 different men's urine in peanuts in a dish on a pub bar - We men really must learn to wash our hands!


Kraft Dinner = Batchelor's Pasta 'N' Sauce

Post 14

Barachois

Sadly, I've only ever seen the mushy peas and black pudding sold here at a Scottish bakery, although a few grocery stores with a high "ethnic" population sell some of these. As for the Urine flavoured peanuts, Canadians are much too clean and decent to ever have those!! smiley - winkeye


Kraft Dinner = Batchelor's Pasta 'N' Sauce

Post 15

Vestboy

You don't know what you're missing. They never stay on the bar for long.

I have to say I love Maple Syrup but it is very expensive here. You can get maple "flavoured" syrup for a fraction of the price but that's not the same at all.


BNL

Post 16

Atuin

BNL has signs printed for concerts:
"Macaroni & Cheese hurts!"
which venues place at entrances. My efforts to snag one were unsuccessful smiley - sadface


BNL - the sign

Post 17

Steerpike

Atuin, the reason you may not have snagged a sign is because I got there first. It looks great in my kitchen. Let me know if you want a copy.


BNL - the sign

Post 18

Atuin

:p

I'll wait til next time, when the security folks aren't looking...


BNL - the sign

Post 19

Atuin

actually, it might not be for a while, now that I think of it. They ended their tour in January so they could start on a new album.


Available in the UK

Post 20

Gareth McKittrick

Hershey bars have only just become available here too. I would love to try Taco Bell though.
Gareth


Key: Complain about this post