A Conversation for Woronora, New South Wales, Australia

The new Woronora Bridge

Post 1

Snaf

In my article I mention a new bridge being constructed across the valley. In February 2001 there was a community event when thousands of Sutherland Shire residents walked across the bridge, donating gold coins to local charities and enjoying the fine summer weather.

Since then the bridge has been open to traffic, and has a made a huge difference to driving in this part of the Shire. You can cross from one side to the other in one smooth arc, completely by-passing the winding roads leading down to Woronora, and the peak-hour hold-ups are much improved.

Best of all, the only traffic down here in Woronora is residents' cars, and the Valley is completely serene without the constant stream of crawling cars travelling between the plateau suburbs. Eating a hamburger at the local corner store while wood ducks cheerfully cross what used to be the busy main road is a great pleasure smiley - smiley


The new Woronora Bridge

Post 2

dysprosia

Bridge is a lovely new thing. However, on looking down over crossing, there appears to be much less people stopping at the cafe down there. Is this true? Or has it remained the same, just attracting different people (eg picnicers etc)


The new Woronora Bridge

Post 3

QuickDuck

I used to drive from Miranda to Bankstown each Wednesday to play basketball, and prior to that, travel from Hurstville to Bangor and Menai School where i was teaching for a short time.

The trip was shortened ALOT by the bridge, but I have to say it is alot less interesting.

All the uphill hairpin turns made the drive alot of fun at times smiley - smiley

Mind you, I have spend many great sunday afternoons, sitting in the park just watching the world go by.

Truely is a great part of the city.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Woronora, New South Wales, Australia

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more