A Conversation for Famous Film Quotes

Quotes - Who said them?

Post 401

Duncan

OK - Here's a new one.....it's a bit long winded, but comes from one of my all time favorite movies:

"Person 1 ( a Brit ) : I must say that if I had the grievous misfortune to be a citizen of this benighted country, I should be the most hesitant of offering any criticism whatever of any other.

Person 2 ( an American ) : Wait a minute, are you knocking this country? Are you saying something against America?

Person 1 ( a Brit ) : Against it? I should be positively astounded to hear anything that could be said FOR it. Why the whole bloody place is the most unspeakable matriarchy in the whole history of civilization! Look at yourself! The way your wife and her strumpet of a mother push you through the hoop! As far as I can see, American men have been totally emasculated- they're like slaves! They die like flies from coronary thrombosis while their women sit under hairdryers eating chocolates & arranging for every 2nd Tuesday to be some sort of Mother's Day! And this infantile preoccupation with bosoms. In all time in this Godforsaken country, the one thing that has appalled me most of all this this prepostrous preoccupation with bosoms. Don't you realize they have become the dominant theme in American culture: in literature, appetizing and all fields of entertainment and everything. I'll wager you anything you like that if American women stopped wearing brassieres, your whole national economy would collapse overnight. "

smiley - dragonsmiley - coffee


Quotes - Who said them?

Post 402

JerseyJim

Great scene, great film!

That is Milton Berle and Terry Thomas in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" made in 1963.


Quotes - Who said them?

Post 403

Deek

Here's one from an older film which was on UK TV last week
'Try not to puke, you may have to lay in it for a long time'.
A.M.


Quotes - Who said them?

Post 404

JerseyJim

That was Paul Newman in "Hombre" from the 1960s. Also a good movie.

Here is a failrly obscure one:

Person 1: "Is he dead?"

Person 2: "Hmm...I think he has another chorus in him."


Quotes - Who said them?

Post 405

Duncan

Got me on that one, Jim. Doesn't ring any bells.


Quotes - Who said them?

Post 406

JerseyJim

Here's a hint on the "Chorus" quote:

This movie had cast members (at least one each) in common with "Mad Mad Mad World", "The Producers" and "Nashville".

See if IMDB can solve that! smiley - winkeye


Quotes - Who said them?

Post 407

JerseyJim

While you are pondering the "Chorus" quote, try this one:

Man: "Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces?"

Crowd: "No..."

Man: "Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"

smiley - cheers


Quotes - Who said them?

Post 408

plaguesville

Help wanted.

While I read through the accumulated wisdom, can anyone place this for a friend.
It's probably from a wartime weepy. You know the sort of thing: agent landed in enemy territory waiting for code word which is her favourite poem: "The love that I have is all that I have, and the love that I have is yours."

I suspect that it isn't a "proper" poem, it may just be film script.

All contributions gratefully received.


Quotes - Who said them?

Post 409

plaguesville

Panic over.

It was "Carve her name with pride".
It was an actual poem written by Leo Marks (of S.O.E.) for his beloved but used, after her death, as a code for Violette (Violet) Szabo.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more