A Conversation for The Apple iPod

high prices and battery issues

Post 1

thehomesickalien

As much as I love mac, I'm a student and can't really afford an iPod. The only one that I really have the ability to presently afford is the 2 gb nano, and I was able to purchase another player with the same memory capacity, great sound quality and which included an fm tuner and recording and photo viewing... and several other features... 70 dollars less than the nano at its current price. Also, I have heard that the battery in the ipod nano is soldered to the circuitry, and cannot be replaced? is this true? If Apple is now forcing its customers to purchase new iPods every couple of years, then I don't think it can really argue that it's an evironmentally conscious company anymore...? am I wrong? also why spend 200 to 300 dollars on an ipod if it is going to stop working within the next few years? I'm not saying that this little machine that I purchased will necessarily outlast the nano, but it is less expensive to replace... and comes with a one year extendable warranty.

so I envy those of you that scroll around your ipods... but I think that apple is seriously taking advantage of the fact that so many people regard the iPod as a fashion accessory as opposed to a device for the music obsessed and overpricing it to such a high degree; I'm kind of disappointed.


high prices and battery issues

Post 2

thehomesickalien

forgot to mention: the battery *can* be replaced in the mp3 player that I bought


high prices and battery issues

Post 3

laconian

You have a point, really. I'm not sure about the new Nano's battery. I know all the other iPods can have their batteries replaced.

From what I know you can certainly send the Nano off to Apple for a replacement battery, but to replace it yourself you will need to re-solder the connections.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more