A Conversation for The History of Sony PlayStation

Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 1

Mikeguy

Nintendo really screwed that one up. I bet when the Playstation Became an instant sucess, Shiguru Miyamoto went right up to the financial dealers and said, "Well, that's another fine mess you've gotten us into!!!"

The funny thing was that when Nintendo did release a CD Based System that worked with the Super Nintendo, it was a huge flop and only got released in Japan!

Poor Nintendo, they created a video game supergiant that killed them. Sorta like Obi-wan and Anakin Skywalker.


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 2

shrinkwrapped

What CD-based system was that?

I know the 64DD, the N64 Disk Drive, was a flop that only got released in Japan, and both the Super Famicom (SNES) Memory Cartrige and the Bandai Satellaview-X modem add-on weren't a flops but were Japan-only. Unless you mean the CDi which Nintendo mistakenly let Phillips use the Zelda license for...


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 3

[...]


STRANGE... THE SNES HELD UP AGAINST THE PLAYSTATION UNTIL THE N64 ARRIVED...

AND PLAYSTATION WAS NOT AN INSTANT SUCCESS!!

IT EARNED ITS SUCCESS UNLIKE THE PS2 THAT SEEMS TO BE RIDING ON ITS PAST ACHEIVEMENT....

OH WELL... AT LEAST IT'S NOT AN X-BOX...


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 4

shrinkwrapped

I'd say the PS2 deserves its place at the top of the pile at the moment. It does have some crackin' games, MGS2 and Ico being some fine examples, and not forgetting the forthcoming online game set in the Final Fantasy Universe that I've read is amazing.

The GameCube remains my favourite though, just look at its lineup over the next year! Woohoo!


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 5

[...]


RESIDENT EVIL...
STARFOX...
MARIO...
'C'ELDA...
METROID...
THE MEGA DRIVE SONIC COLLECTION...

NOT TO MENTION PERFECT DARK 0... THOUGH I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THE NAME WAS 'AFTER DARK'....


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 6

shrinkwrapped

You've missed out Animal Crossing! (And Eternal Darkness, 'cos that isn't out here in the UK yet). Rumour has it that Perfect Dark 0 might be appearing on a certain Microsoft console. smiley - sadface


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 7

[...]


UNTRUE. NINTENDO HAS EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO RAREWARE (THOSE WHO MAKE P.D.).

AND ALTHOUGH THERE ARE RUMOURS THAT ACTIVISION MIGHT BUY OUT RARE, RARE HAVE SAID THEY'RE UNJUST....


BESIDES... THQ >IS< BRINGING ITS X-BOX GAMES TO A CERTAIN NINTENDO HANDHELD...


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 8

shrinkwrapped

Nintendo has exclusive rights to Rare AT THE MOMENT... but the end of their contract is approaching and the Stampers and the rest of the company still own the majority share. So in theory they could sell the rest of the company to any other publisher and release games on the other formats. I hope they don't, but it's a real possibility. There have been similar rumours for years, but recent indicators make it look like it really could happen.

We'll just have to wait and see.


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 9

[...]


NINTENDO OWN 51% OF RARE...


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 10

shrinkwrapped

All the sources I've read say that Nintendo own 49%, meaning that Rare still (just) own the majority of shares. It makes sense - if you ran a company, wouldn't you want to remain in control of it just in case?

Also, you really ought to consider taking the ol' caps lock off, as it looks like you're shouting. UNLESS THAT IS YOUR INTENTION, OF COURSE!!!


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 11

[...]


I DON'T THINK NINTENDO ARE DUMB ENOUGH TO LET THEIR GREATEST GAMES MAKER GET AWAY EASILY....


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 12

shrinkwrapped

Well I don't personally believe that Rare are 'greater' than Nintendo's in-house teams, but you're right, Nintendo would be fools to let Rare get away easily. But then I don't think Nintendo are fools, and I'm certain they wouldn't WANT Rare to go multi-format, being on of their biggest assets. But let's face it, if Rare decide to go there's little that Nintendo could actually do.

But anyway, it's all just speculation so we could discuss this until we're blue in the face (or at least, fingers) and both be way off the mark. Let's just hope for the best eh?


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 13

[...]


WELL IT'S RARE THAT REVIVED DONKEY KONG....


MY FAVOURITE GAME OF ALL TIME IS DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 2: DIDDY'S KONG QUEST...


PROBLEM WITH NINTENDO IS THAT IT'S ONLY THOSE WHO GREW UP WITH NINTENDO THAT STILL HAVE FAITH...


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 14

shrinkwrapped

Yeah, you're right about that I guess - with regards to the N64 at least. It had some fantastic games, pity about the prices. But there's real hope with the GameCube. As far as I'm aware it's doing well for itself, despite the crowded market right now - and for once Nintendo has priced it on our side. My N64 cost me £250, and Turok £70 smiley - yikes! It was only because it kept being delayed that I could afford it by the time it was released! Now, £130 is fantastic value. Especially as I got money off 'cos I bought three games with my Cube.

My only real worry about Nintendo now is their now 'shorter, more often' philosophy on games production. I'm not sure I WANT a sequel to Mario Sunshine on the GC. Each new Mario game has been a revolution, because each has combined the power of the new console with a long and meticulous design and production process to get each game JUST RIGHT. That's one reason the N64 was delayed - and I'm sure you'll agree it was worth the wait. Each Mario game is an epic, a blockbuster, a game you can return to time after time. I'm worried that shorter development times and smaller games will lead to less variety and creativity, resulting in a line of samey sequels that tarnish the franchise. You know: like Tomb Raider.

Er... obviously I'm excluding the fact that four great Mario games came out on the NES from this argument. smiley - winkeye

My favourite game is Yoshi's Island.

Also check out my mate's site at http://www.planetnintendo.com/nindb - it'd be right up your Alleyway.


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 15

[...]


WELL I WOULDN'T SAY MARIO BROS. 2 WAS A REVELATION... APART THE PICK UP AND THROW ASPECT...

TO WAS IRRITATING... COMPLICATED AND NO-ONE WANTED TO BE TOAD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!


WELL NINTENDO IS BRINGING ALL IT'S MAJOR PLAYERS OUT BY CHRISTMAS.... EXCEPT ZELDA... HMMM....

AND X-BOX HAS...... ERRR.... HALO.... APPARENTLY.... I HATE X-BOX!!!

BETTER GRAPHICS???? WHERE????
SLUG LOADS...
DISC SCRATCHES...
ABSURD PRICE..
BIG, BIG, BIG...
BUY DVD 'REMOTE' SEPERATELY.....

MR. GATES SHOULD STICK TO PCs...

"2002 WILL BE THE YEAR OF THE 'CUBE" APPARENTLY.... MORE ODDS ON PS2 THERE......

AT LEAST NINTENDO'S NOW ACTUALLY PLAYING THE CONSOLE GAME PROPERLY...
"WE ARE NOT TRYING TO COMPETE WITH THE X-BOX" LEADING TO SONY AND MICRO. TO COMPETE TAKING EACH OTHER DOWN...
MEANWHILE, NINTENDO SNEAKS IN THE BACK DOOR... SWIPES RES. EVIL FOR A WHILE... THE FORTHCOMING FINAL FANTASY: CRYSTAL CHRONICLES FOR GAMEBOY ADVANCE HINTING AT A GC LINK-UP... INTERESTING...

...THE SEGA/NAMCO 'TRIFORCE' PACT... LEADING TO SONIC ON NINTENDO HARDWARE....

GAMEBOY BEST SELLING CONSOLE EVER... NINTENDO ARE FIGHTING WITH STRATEGY!!!!!


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 16

jetzer

You know, you guys just reminded me of something. What you said about the gameboy reminded me, NINTENDO HAS A MONOPOLY ON HAND-HELDS!! Unless you count Cell games, Nintendo has definately got hand-helds in a strangle hold. I mean, what else are you going to play, an off-name brand single game cheapo? And since I'm a hand-held gamer almost exclusively, I don't really care about much else. I'd be almost glad if Nintendo just made consoles a part-time hobby, and focused on truly killing all competition in the hand-held market, though they've done a pretty complete job already.
Another thing. MICROSOFT IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD! First the computer market, now gaming? What next?!?? Microwave ovens? It's Big Brother all over again!!!


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 17

[...]

LET'S NOT FORGET THAT BILLY BOY LOSES £100+ FOR EACH X-BOX SOLD...


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 18

Mullet

Well, so much for owning Rare, they're Micrsoft property now.

And as for the hand-helds, the PSP is coming out soon. I still think that the Nintendo DS looks far more innovative though so I'll be sticking with them.


Well, Nintendo really screwed that one up

Post 19

archShade

Nintendo screwed up. And as Nintendo and SEGA dwindle the corparate hand of Sony are taking a tighter grasp. this is just sad to those who beleive in the type of innovation that Nintendo where famous for. Microsoft are just forcing sony to be evermore corperate.

Nintendo are like the willy wonker factory. where every game has at leased some polish (even luigis manchine and wind waker where above par when compared to any othe devloper). but there methods are inificient nothing is done quickly. games are thin and every peice of hardware is released late.

Sony and Microsoft seem merchanicle. with occaisinol games wich are truly good being released (halo and GTA amoung the best) but thers so much poor. Wadding though it on sheles is boring and tedious.

Nintendo need more games

Sony need to improve quality


Key: Complain about this post