A Conversation for Books

Books what I have readed

Post 1

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Just thought there should be a Forum to discuss books which we (as a community) have read - don't know if it already exists someplace else - presumably the majority of people that visit H2G2 have read at least HHGTTG, and I've already come across a couple of threads about that (the Film, more books, etc...).

But I would be intersted in what people think about other books - for example I've just finished reading Peter F. Hamilton's rather large (and now dog-eared, I'm ashamed to admit) "The Reality Dysfunction", and I'd like to find out what other H2G2'ers thought about it.

I thought it was a brilliant Space Opera - with loads more to offer - gets you thinking too.

I've also just finished Orson Scott Card's Children of the Mind - which I didn't rate to start with - but which definitely picked up towards the end. The writing style seems a bit more simplistic "Flat" and "mystical" than I remember the earlier Ender books being. It ends up being quite an interesting book philosophically - while missing out on REAL story (i.e. you know what is going to happen).

I hope this Forum gets picked up, or I may have to resort to speaking to people directly!


Books what I have readed

Post 2

Bluebottle

I'm here, and I'm afraid that I haven't read any of those books. smiley - sadface
And there is a book forum place over at the Book Nook at:
http://www.h2g2.com/A229943


Books what I have readed

Post 3

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Good, I was juysrt trying to find that out - thanks!

By the way - have you fallen in the water?


Books what I have readed

Post 4

Bluebottle

No - I was too busy being deaded. smiley - sadface


Books what I have readed

Post 5

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

'hanyway....

No Goons left now, all gone... how .....

Books what I have readed recently include:

Night Watch - T.P. - v. good, return to form, slightly darker than some of his others....

Lost in a Good Book - Jasper Fforde - 2nd outing for Thursday Next - just as loony as the first.... Kind of a literary HHGTTG..... But not... Excellent...


Books what I have readed

Post 6

Bluebottle

I haven't read "Night Watch" - I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback. The only hardback Terry Pratchett books I have are my signed copy of "The Amazing Maurice" and the two "Science Of Discworld Books", which are definately worth getting. I wasn't sure and only got them when on special offer, but I'd definately recommend them.
Other than history books, the most recent thing I've read are the books by Tony Hawks if you've heard of him, author of "Round Ireland With A Fridge".

<BB<


Books what I have readed

Post 7

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

I've hear that's very good....

I've read both the Science of Discworld, the latest gives lots of food for thought....


Books what I have readed

Post 8

Bluebottle

True - although at the moment I'm hoping to get a few more Discworld maps for Christmas.

<BB<


Books what I have readed

Post 9

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

How many of them are there now?

Just finished IceHenge by KSR, quite interesting, but not fully wrapped up at the end...


Books what I have readed

Post 10

Bluebottle

I'm not entirely sure. The ones I know of are:
Discworld
Ankh-Morpork
Death's Domain
Lancre

<BB<


Books what I have readed

Post 11

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

lost what I just typed.... smiley - grr....

Ho Hum....

Think I've just got the two of them Ankh-Morpork and Discworld, although I have a vague recollection of Death's Domain too....

Recently Readed:

ON - by Adam Roberts.... Where the world has, quite literally, been tipped on its side.... To say anymore would be a giveaway... Unfortunately the tale seems to Fade, instead of Burning out.....

Altered Carbon - by Richard Morgan --- Well F**K ME smiley - wow!! is the first thing to come to mind about this one... Basically a Mid Millenmium Detective tale where Death's sting has been banished by Technology, and the stack... Only Catholics don't believe in the Stack and refuse to be "re-sleeved" after their death.... Criminals are routinely given sentances of years on Stack, where they have no existence.... Those that can afford it get new bodies, or sleeves, those that can't, wait on Stack, or live in Virtual.... Real Death is possible if your implanted Stack is destroyed without a Backup.... JUST READ IT!!!!!


Books what I have readed

Post 12

Johanna the Psychotic Bananna - - I'm back!!! I missed you, H2G2

Pratchett PRatchett PRAtchett PRATchett PRATChett PRATCHett PRATCHEtt PRATCHETt

PRATCHETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love terry. incidentally, i have a webpage with a list of all his books in it, if you go to my user space you can link to it from there, if you need/want to know about maps etc.


Books what I have readed

Post 13

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Hi Jo...

More stuff what I have readed recently....

Neil Gaiman - Smoke and Mirrors, and American Gods - wow what a writer - introduced via Good Omens, and then Sandman.... I'd love to be him...

Robert Rankin - The Witches of Chiswick.... As the blurb says - he gets funnier the more you read him - in jokes and stuff keep coming back... Features the Return of Barry and Larry the times Sprouts...

Cities - ed Peter Crowther - actually I am reading this at the mo....

Oh.. and too much else to mention - I'll have to check the bookshelf at home...


Books what I have readed

Post 14

Johanna the Psychotic Bananna - - I'm back!!! I missed you, H2G2

ive been reading a lot of isla dewar, and i also read lord of the flies (golding) ans sunset song by l. g. gibbon.


Books what I have readed

Post 15

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

What sort of stuff does Isla write?

I've also read Lord of the Flies, but not recently... (i.e. 15-20 years ago...)


Books what I have readed

Post 16

Johanna the Psychotic Bananna - - I'm back!!! I missed you, H2G2

scottish lifestyle stuff. women, their lives. its quite good.


Books what I have readed

Post 17

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Well finished Cities a while back.. Now I'm reading Fools Errand by Robyn Hobbe, and Montrous Regiment by Tp...


Books what I have readed

Post 18

Johanna the Psychotic Bananna - - I'm back!!! I missed you, H2G2

i got monstrous regiment of saturday. i finished it on sunday morning. i was riveted. it is soo good. have you finished reading it yet?


Books what I have readed

Post 19

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Yup, wasn't so impressed though smiley - sorry, it just seemed he was telling a story he's told before, just with different characters...

I did read it in 3 days straight though... I got the feeling that the story isn't finished yet, part of an ongoing story...

IMHO Discworld seems to be turning into the story of Sam Vimes... With nary a sight of Death (OK 1 or 2 lines)...


Books what I have readed

Post 20

Johanna the Psychotic Bananna - - I'm back!!! I missed you, H2G2

i have noticed a decided interest in vimes of late, it would be nice to see another witches book, or something that is in a series. it was not the best book, but i still really enjoyed it. i think night watch is the best of the more recent books.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more