A Conversation for Brussels, Belgium

MP isn't the original!

Post 1

MacDafydd

Mannekin Pis may be Brussels' most famous citizen, but he does not in fact hail from that city. The original Mannekin Pis can be seen in Geraardsbergen, a small town some thirty KM (at a guess) to the east of Brussels. "Original" is not to be taken at its literal sense, however, as both MPs have been replaced as they have worn out through the passing of time and the influence of inclement weather.
Oh, and while you're in Geraardsbergen, buy some of the local speciality called "mattetaart" -- don't buy the poor imitations offered for sale in other towns throughout Belgium, go for the real thing. You'll find the best on the hill leading from the Dender up to the Grote Markt (that's the market place where MP stands), just before the road opens onto the square, in a baker's on the right-hand side.


Key: Complain about this post

MP isn't the original!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more