A Conversation for Electric Guitars

Transporting Electric Guitar

Post 1

flitts

Anyone got any tips on how to transport an electric guitar on a plane from Edinburgh to Dublin? It's not a long flight. But should I loosen the strings? Is it better to try and get it on board with me? Or in a hard case as checked in baggage?


Transporting Electric Guitar

Post 2

Redfox

If you can carry it on, DO IT. It's a good idea to call the airline and check their policies, but generally they will give different answers depending on the person. If you HAVE to check it, yes, loosen the strings, wrap theheadstock in a towel, and make sure it is in a tough case OR that it is padded w/ soft stuff at least 6cm on all sides and it will not rattle.


Transporting Electric Guitar

Post 3

Redfox

If they refuse to let you carry it on, so long as it's in a hardcase and the strings are loose, it's okay if it gets gate checked (first in, first out, handed to you at the gate of your destination, like kid's strollers).


Transporting Electric Guitar

Post 4

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

And LOCK the case!
If you have one of those cases that has the tiny little locks with the toy key, I suggest renting a road case with proper latches and locks. Baggage handlers are notorious in the rock business for playing futbol with instrument cases.

Of course, you could always call ahead and see if you could rent or borrow a guitar at your destination.

No amount of insurance can replace a treasured friend.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more