A Conversation for The Widget

Other widgets

Post 1

Researcher 93445

Always nice to learn something from a Guide entry. This one seems destined to mislead future interstellar visitors, though, in that it only explains "widget" in the context of a single field. Surely, it is a term of art in many others?

For starters, in Windows software development (yes, I know it's a nasty job, but someone has to do it) the term "widget" refers to any small chunk of on-screen functionality that's bigger than a control but smaller than an entire window (say, the table widget inside a relationships designer or a palette within a drawing program).

What other widgets are out there?


Other widgets

Post 2

Son-of-a-Bob

I always thought that a widget was a made-up product exclusively used as an example in introductory economics textbooks (e.g. Company A can manufacture 2000 widgets at $5 per unit. The current market price for widgets is $4...). This always seemed like another vain attempt by economists prove that they do indeed have a sense of humor by using such a silly name.


Other widgets

Post 3

Sib

Well I guess you could say those little brushs attached to a cap thingies on White-Out. What do you call it? Brushcap? Capbrush? I need to know!


Other widgets

Post 4

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

In a car engine, the widget is slightly below and to the left of the wurglesprocket; both are sited close to the Point of Greatest Inaccessibility.

Lil


Other widgets

Post 5

The Unreliable Narrator

I believe a "Widget" was the technical name for the capsule used in 19th century pneumatic mail systems. I also seem to remember that there is a working pneumatic system somewhere in Eastern Europe, so perhaps that meaning of Widget is not yet obsolete. Can anyone verify this?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more