A Conversation for Why James Bond is Lucky

And another thing...

Post 41

Dinsdale Piranha

The point about him being British is that he would differentiate between 'licence' (noun) and 'license' (verb).

This means that he has a licence to kill rather than a license to kill.

It's the same with 'practice' and 'practise'.

I'm sorry about this, I just have a bee in my bonnet about things like this.


And another thing...

Post 42

Researcher 33337

Well, the liscence to kill thing probably has some sort of extra cover. I want to know hoe he avoids being on the news. Take Tomorrow Never dies. Bond gets involved in a high speed chase on a motorbike away from a helecopter eventually destroying aforementioned helecopter and passing a Large amount of locals. Why doesn't any of this get to press? Particularly when he does it in a contrey neutral or hostile to britain. And, how come no one ever realises the world is in danger?


And another thing...

Post 43

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Maybe the destruction was on the news, but no one got any good shots of Bond? He was going pretty fast and I doubt was recognizeable. And so what if the world did realize it was in danger? I think that in some of them the world knows it. Doesn't really matter...


And another thing...

Post 44

Anonymouse

According to Webster the two are interchangeable, so you can't blame the writer. Instead, blame the bastiges that won't carry Oxford dictionaries round these parts. *exasperated sigh*


And another thing...

Post 45

RangaKoo

Speaking of that scene, watch the chick's arm. It's good for a laugh cos everyone just loves to pick faults in movies.


And another thing...

Post 46

MaW

Every movie has loads of little glitches in it. I only just watched Tomorrow Never Dies again, so I can't be bothered to check it out just for one little glitch... Still, I have to know what they got wrong. Tell! Tell!
I wonder what very slow means of killing Bond will be employed in The World Is Not Enough? Something very slow, I would expect. smiley - smiley


And another thing...

Post 47

Dinsdale Piranha

The girl's arm going across JB's chest is the most obviously false one you could imagine.


And another thing...

Post 48

Caffine freak

Look it's quite simple, JB is British, right, therefore he has absolute right to blow up anything in any foreign country. . . especially America.


And another thing...

Post 49

Caffine freak

(please note that this is not caffine freak, but one of his friends)

Having seen the suave, cool and sophisticated James Bond in action America will learn the folly of her ways and will rejoin the great and glorius empire. New York will be renamed Little Puddleton-on-Sea, and cream teas will be served on a Thursday with the vicar. God Save the Queen and Long live the glorious Empire.


And another thing...

Post 50

Researcher 33337

Ah, so Bond has a secret and ultirior mission. To persuade America to Rejoin Britain. Preferably by blowing alot of things up and stealing all their women (Not to mention humiliating that comic southern sherrif from Live and Let Die and Teh Man With teh Golden Gun) Could thsi be why he makes such obvious impressions (Hong Kong in Tomorrow Never Dies, Venice in Moonraker, San-Fransisco in A View to a Kill) He's not just trying for America. He's aiming at Nothing short of.... WORLD DOMINATION.

A Question, Who is there to stop bond taking over the world with an outlandish plan?


And another thing...

Post 51

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Sean Connery.


And another thing...

Post 52

Anonymouse

Never! smiley - winkeye


And another thing...

Post 53

Researcher 33337

Sean connery couldn't defeat Bond in his bid for world domination (not for the "He is bond" reason) But because any return to Britain may involve him actually paying tax. So, Bond has connery, now, ignoring George lazenby (As so many wish to do) Roger Moore? Could the Amazing Eyebrows of Doom Defeat bond?


And another thing...

Post 54

RangaKoo

Yea!!! The World Is Not Enough was realeased in Australia yesterday, and to celebrate it there was some interesting trivia in the paper....

Roger Moore never ordered a martini!!

Roger Moore was afraid of heights and needed sedatives for any high scenes

Ian Flemming has a property in Jamaica called GoldenEye

IN Thunderball, Sean Connery was reluctant to enter the shark filled tank. He finally did when told that the sharks were drugged.

When teh speed boat jumped over the sherrif's car in Live and Let Die, it set a Guiness Record.

The manufacturers of the motorbike used in Tomorrow Never Dies (BMW I think) claimed it was impossible to do a wheelie on it, but the stunt rider managed it.


Oh yeah, and the mistake in Tomorrow never dies is that the girls arm extends and at one stage is over a meter long.


And another thing...

Post 55

bent

I seem to remember reading that in Thunderball scene Connery only had to film a tiny bit. The swimming through the tunnel bit (if I have the wrong film here please correct me) was done by a stuntman. Nobody told said stuntman that there were two sharks. After the first came through he went to swim through the tube, and then came face to face with the second shark. Not the best thing to have to do. The recoil in shock was not the stuntman hamming it up.


And another thing...

Post 56

Researcher 33337

Thats actually funny in a sort of sick way. He must of hated his film crew. For old rog not ordering a martini, Now that you mention it, I can't recall him ever doing so. He always met women who ordered his drinks for him (Taking lasyness one stage on in my opinion)


And another thing...

Post 57

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Here's another reason he's lucky... in The World is Not Enough his BMW is destroyed in a rather impressive and memorable way. But in the obligatory ending scene where Bond is making love to the girl when his superiors locate him they find him by IDing his car. He's obviously been able to get another company car without actually having had any oportunity to do so.


And another thing...

Post 58

de Rips

Bond should be using Aston Martins rather than BMWs. BMWs are naff and crap, a true afficionado of motoring transport would not settle for anything less than an incredibly expensive Aston. And BMWs are German. Need i say more?


And another thing...

Post 59

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

I'm sorry, but wi someone pease define the word "naff" for me?


And another thing...

Post 60

Researcher 33337

The word "naff" means rubbish, tacky, not up to much. it changes subtly depending on what it is used to describe. For teh instance of BMW it means rubbish, cheap-looking, tacky and generally not good (It doesn't actually mean bad, just not good). As for teh BMW argument I prefer Aston Martins or Lotuses any day but, at least in Tomorrow Never Dies, he drives a perfectly normal BMW which is a good idea for a simple salesman, exeutive type of spy cover. The sporty ones are jsut a joke as any rich brittish playboy would own an aston martin. And it is true, Bond can damage as much as he likes with no reprocussions (short of a reprimand from Q) eg his car in Goldfinger, his car in the living daylights takes a fair beating as does his car in The Spy Who Loved Me. He crashes hsi BMW in tomorrow never dies and the supposedly "new" boat in moonraker. Yet is he peanalised, no. He doesn't even get given bad transport to make up. Actually, that could explain the BMWs


Key: Complain about this post