A Conversation for The 2006 GCSE Humanities Paper Debacle

Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 1

I'm not really here

"General Certificate of Secondary Education - a series of mandatory exams taken by English schoolchildren in their last years of secondary school."

GCSEs are *not* compulsory. Education is (school is not, certain subjects are), but there is no law to make kids sit exams at the end of it - some schools may say it is compulsory, but that's their policy, not the law. I don't think it's even compulsory to teach to GCSE level.

Sorry to go on about just one word in this entry, but I thought it was important.


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 2

HonestIago

It is compulsory to assess the core subjects at the end of Key Stage 4, and this includes RE. The only core subject which isn't covered by this is Citizenship, where assessment is only compulsory at KS3.

While a student doesn't have to entered for the exams, this still counts as a GCSE assessment.


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 3

silverygibbon

Cunningly Disguised said *GCSEs are *not* compulsory. Education is (school is not, certain subjects are)*

The pedantic (and cynical) amongst us might suggest that in fact LESSONS are compulsory, EDUCATION is merely the desired outcome.

As my former Dean of Engineering often said;
*You can lead an Ass to lectures, but you cannot make him think*.


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 4

coelacanth

The phrase is (I believe - quoting from memory) that education MUST take place and that this can be "in school or otherwise". One of my daughters did not study for, or take, KS3 SATS and neither of them studied for, or took, GCSE RE. No one has arrested me yet.
smiley - bluefish


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 5

coelacanth

One daughter reminded me that she didn't study for, or take, GCSE English either. Still not been arrested.
smiley - bluefish


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 6

HonestIago

I'm just telling you what the law says. So your daughter didn't get the education she was entitled to - it doesn't mean the laws aren't there. If I could be bothered I could look for the book and give you the reference, but I can't and so won't.


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 7

coelacanth

smiley - rofl

smiley - spacesmiley - space"So your daughter didn't get the education she was entitled to..."
I never said anything of the kind! I was making the point that there are other ways to adhere to the spirit of the legislation. #1 is absolutely correct. GCSEs are not compulsory.

What a shame you can't look for "the book". I'd be very interested.
smiley - bluefish


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 8

I'm not really here

Me too! I don't see how it could be enforced. I'm sure I remember one where I just sat there writing letters on the rough paper rather than answering any questions.


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 9

coelacanth

I see the footnote is still wrong.

You're right, there's no enforcement. Any one who chooses to sit in exams (and you do have a choice) is perfectly entitled to use this time to doodle, write stories about pixies, compose poetry, include a letter to the examiner, deconstruct the questions and explain how they would have done it better etc. No law prevents this. Of course, they could just choose to answer the questions.

http://www.nc.uk.net/nc_resources/html/about_NC.shtml
State schools must provide opportunities to study certain subjects because all state school pupils have an "entitlement to learning". The exception is religious education, where a learning opportunity must be provided, but parents can decline the offer of this for their children.

The opportunity to have achievement measured must be in place. One way to measure whether any learning has taken place during this opportunity is by examination, but the exams are not compulsory. Another way to measure whether this learning has taken place is by coursework, but coursework is not compulsory. Demonstrable achievements provide the means to exchange for work when the student leaves education, usually (but not always) enabling someone to sell their own time for a higher price than if they had no quantifiable proof of learning.

So, the aim of the National Curriculum is "..to provide opportunities for all pupils to learn and to achieve." The opportunity to learn is an entitlement. There is no compulsion on the part of the student to prove they have quantifiably learnt a single thing.

This learning opportunity does not even have to take place in a state school. It can be "otherwise". This could be in an independent school or by elective home education.

If education takes place at home parents do not have to tell the local authority. They do not have to follow any curriculum. They do not have to have any set hours. The local authority can ask to do a home visit but parents don't have to allow them access. All parents need to do is provide some demonstration that their children have opportunities for education.

http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/educationandlearning/whatchildrenlearn/learningathomeoutsideschool/electivehomeeducation/
smiley - bluefish


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 10

I'm not really here

I've posted to Ed Feedback and suggested this wording:

General Certificate of Secondary Education - a series of exams taken by most British schoolchildren in their last years of secondary school.

F47997?thread=3860751

I didn't want to change it too much, and most children do go to school and sit them.

If you disagree with the wording, then I won't object to a correction!


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 11

The H2G2 Editors

We're happy with this new wording. I'll change it now. smiley - ok


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 12

jam_pony

personally i think you're all taking this conversation a bit too seriously. the original comment pointed out a small error and everyone has turned it in to a heated debate concerning the law, the meaning of education and the issue of whether or not it can be ennforced.smiley - biggrin


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 13

I'm not really here

That's ok - I don't mind. It's worth debating whether or not a correction is correct, and I do like to spark off debate. smiley - biggrin


Luckily for some there is a mistake in the footnote.

Post 14

Recumbentman

silverygibbon -- the original quote was from Dorothy Parker. When asked to comment on horticulture she said

"You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think." smiley - jester


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more