A Conversation for Bermondsey, London, UK

The Bermondsey Spirit

Post 1

Miranda, the latin ice-skating mermaid

I've lived in Bermondsey for the past 6 years and I have to say I have mixed feelings about the place.

Yesterday was the grand gala opening of victorian Southwark Park, which since the 80s was in rapid decline and turning into a criminal paradise rather family park. Some lottery money has seen the place improve no end in the last two years and it was this 'transformation' that the local community was celebrating.

There were no fights, no guns, no drugs (Well I couldn't see any) and everyone seemed so happy and 'together'. 4 generation families turned out and picnicked while listening to Chas and Dave followed by a huge firework display at the end.

That's the Bermondsey I like. The Bermondsey I hate will no doubt be tomorrow when I walk through the park and see that the brand new bandstand that the old folds were dancing round has now been covered in graffiti...


The Bermondsey Spirit

Post 2

Miranda, the latin ice-skating mermaid

'folds' meant to read as 'folks' smiley - blush


The Bermondsey Spirit

Post 3

HappyDude

and has the graffiti apeared smiley - huh


The Bermondsey Spirit

Post 4

Miranda, the latin ice-skating mermaid

Will look tomorrow. However, the park rangers are probably ready with the detergent and scrubbing brush every morning...


The Bermondsey Spirit

Post 5

flyingfireballxl5

i live in bermondsey for years and was born in rotherhithe
the people were the salt of the earth i use to play in southwark park when i was a kid i fell in the pond when i was 12 is the open air swimming pool still in the park.


The Bermondsey Spirit

Post 6

flyingfireballxl5

if your interested i bermondsey and you on facebook
theres a good group on there called bermondsey & rotherhithe
it as lot of photo's and videos and links well worth a looksmiley - biggrin


The Bermondsey Spirit

Post 7

HappyDude

It's a long time since Miranda has been here but I'll let her know, sounds like something that could take her fancy.


The Bermondsey Spirit

Post 8

flyingfireballxl5

smiley - oksmiley - ta


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more