A Conversation for Disc Jockeys (DJs)

MCs vs DJs

Post 1

Dazinho

As you say, a DJ plays records - so far, so good. An MC does not play records. The contribution of the MC is vocal - he is the rapper, the vocalist, however you want to term his contribution. Or hers!

As an example, check out the last single from the Beastie Boys album 'Hello Nasy' - a single called '3 MCs and 1 DJ'. It's about the three Beastie Boys - Ad Rock, MCA and Mike D, and the man who is probably the planet's premier hip-hop DJ, Mix Master Mike. The three Beastie's are definately not DJs!

Trust me, I've been a working DJ for almost ten years, I've played all the best local bars and nightclubs, and last year had the honour of playing a set with Gatecrasher resident DJ Matt Hardwick.


MCs vs DJs

Post 2

Stuffe

Yes, you're correct, only as you may see, the editors have combined two entries (Most of it is mine) and have got it a bit confused in the process.


MCs vs DJs

Post 3

Nellyslaphead

Methinks ya may have made the common mistake of assuming that 99.9999% of MCs are anything other than talentless, pushy, self obsessed little boys. Having never developed the social skills required to get within several trillion light years of the opposite gender, these sad sociopaths consider it their God given destiny to harrass and hassle their DJ "friends" to the brink of homicide.Their one, overwhelming desire is to be allowed access to the microphone, sadly deluded in thinking that
a) The DJs set would be vastly improved
b) The Bitches/Honies/Hoes will drop their knickers like flies
if only he drunkenly hollers,preferably out of time with the music
MAKE SOME FUCKIN NOISE IN DA HOUSE!!!!
BIG UP TO THE LOVERLY LAYDEEZZZZ!!
Please,Please,Please,Please,Please,Do not encourage this pondlife.


MCs vs DJs

Post 4

Tismey

Agreed. I deejay a bit, and the only people more annoying than someone who comes up and hassles you to let them MC (easily discouraged if you don't have a microphone) are the people who come up to you and say 'Do you mind if I mix a tune, mate?', as if obviously the only reason you've taken your gear and a box full of records down to this dive where you're playing for peanuts is so that wannabe idiots like them can play at being a DJ for the night. Unfortunately, if you refuse you tend to get the standard response that they 'do it for a living', which begs two questions: (a) why are you here annoying me and wanting a go at my gig rather than playing at your own? or (b) if it's your night off, why do you want to work? You don't see off-duty bus drivers getting a cab home on their night off and asking if they can have a go because they 'do it for a living'.


MCs vs DJs

Post 5

Nellyslaphead

Oh Joyous Day. It's great to see that I am not the only one who seems to get plagued by this pondlife. One point you seem to have missed. The only reason these idiots hassle you in the first place is their sadly deluded belief that the "fit bird" over by the bar might finally cave in to his pathetic attempts at coitus, if only you would let him "add" his unique contribution to that bangin' tune. Once again Imust plead with you all.
DO NOT GIVE THESE PARASITES ANY EXCUSE TO BREED.


MCs vs DJs

Post 6

Dazinho

In our pub we do a sort of open deck night on a thursday, so that amateurs (who have been carefully vetted beforehand) get some decktime in front of real people. So I really hate it when I do my thing on a Friday/Saturday and some gonzo has let their mate do some 'scratching' and one of my decks jumps like a kangaroo on amyl nitrate!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more