A Conversation for Marillion - the Band: pre 1988

Six of one, half-dozen of the other

Post 1

FordsTowel

I first "discovered" Marillion with the random purchase of a "Six of One, Half-Dozen of the Other" cassette tape at a yard sale. I'd be embarrassed to admit the price, but later bought that CD and 4 or 5 others. It is still my favorite, but perhaps for reasons less than apparent.

I had spent months working on ideas for a specific musical and realized the need for a specific, unidentifiable "sound" that hovered at the back of my brain. Only to pass time, I pulled the purchased tape from a drawer where it had sat for almost as many months unheard.

As I listened, I realized that this was the sound my musical was looking for, and that it would be perfectly usable. After a few more listens, I experienced what I can only describe as a horrifying epiphany, the blokes had actually written 95% of the words as well!

I had to shelve the project, as I could think of no way around the dilemma except to get permission to use the songs, slightly tweaked. It has been several years, and I think I can now go ahead with an approach that won't subject me to terrible copyright infringement charges. Pity, really. I'd certainly liked to have worked with them on the project.


Key: Complain about this post

Six of one, half-dozen of the other

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more