A Conversation for A Welcome and Thank You Message from Douglas Adams

A thank you in return

Post 1

Zach Garland

Granted I would not be so bold as to speak on behalf of ALL field researchers in h2g2.com, nor would I want to turn this into an ass-kissing festival where everyone reminds Douglas Adams just how wonderful he is, NOR would I even imagine Mr. Adams is READING these forums in response to his sweet welcome and thank you to this community he helped to germinate like a fungus on the bark of a tree in a rain forest that someone someday will use perhaps to discover the cure for cancer... With all that said...

Thank you, Mr. Adams.

Thank you for that silly radio show you were hired to write some years ago that you probably did for a lark and a paycheck. Thank you for everything since. Thank you for doing your part to remind mankind that it is rather foolish of us to assume we are the only ones in this universe, and thank you for doing your part to remind human beings that we are not the only ones on this planet.

And thank you for this. It's both enlightening and fun, which is in keeping with the spirit of everything you have offered to the wealth of human knowledge thus far.

We are honored to help you build it.


A thank you in return

Post 2

$u$

Ditto smiley - winkeye

Wear your fish with pride!

smiley - fish


A thank you in return

Post 3

Anonymouse

*tosses a tuppence into the pot* ... Yes.. Thank you. I needed a new internet hangout because the ones I'd habituated for the past few years were beginning to get either stale or overrun by lamers or both (mostly the latter smiley - winkeye).


A thank you in return

Post 4

GrunthosTheFlatulant

Yes, Mr. Adams is one frood who REALLY knows where his towel is. Over 20 years of comedy in all formats and now
even computer games and a real-life Guide. A knighthood and a third arm for The Editor In Chief!! Now, all we gotta do is
make sure we get a better entry in here than "Mostly harmless"....


A thank you in return

Post 5

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

It's nice to participate in a truly international, English speaking, enterprise that is not dominated by one culture. smiley - bigeyes


A thank you in return

Post 6

Astrogoth

**takes a bow**

My turn: thank you mr. Adams for making all our lives more pleasant in this big badass world! It's a relief to find out that here on h2g2 there are still people who are not afraid to admit to being insane. I feel so at home....

smiley - fish

and for u Løønytunes: Long live diversity!


A thank you in return

Post 7

RangaKoo

Mr. Adams, thank you for helping me to laugh through my first round of CAT's - dastardly things that squeeze your brain out of your ears.


A thank you in return

Post 8

shazzPRME

And a big thank you from me too....even though I had a few sticky days when my gender was brought under scrutiny,I managed to have the best online party anyone could wish for,with friends dropping in from all over the world! Thank you for all the new friends,and thank you for the music!
shazz smiley - winkeyesmiley - fish


A thank you in return

Post 9

msmonsy

*slowly steps away from the wall*
thank-you as well smiley - smiley...i must say that i have greatly enjoyed my time here and hope to continue being able to do so smiley - smiley....my husband introduced me to your books some years back then he introduced me to this page shortly after you started it smiley - smiley.....i tend to be a bit on the serious side in real life and enjoy being able to come here to relax a bit and let my hair down smiley - smiley......i also find that i have made quite a few friends through this site of yours, friendships i treasure and am gratefull for smiley - smiley
*returns to her position against the wall*
the wallflower


A thank you in return

Post 10

Icarus

I am not eloquent. I am not profound. I am, however, thankful. Thank you.


A thank you in return

Post 11

Anonymouse

What a profound statement. smiley - winkeye


A thank you in return

Post 12

The Researcher

Just a pure and simple thankyou :0)


A thank you in return

Post 13

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Sobs uncontrollably


A thank you in return

Post 14

shazzPRME

...and we are all still heresmiley - smiley That in itself speaks volumes smiley - smiley
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye


A thank you in return

Post 15

I Am Iron Man

To Mr Adams:

Cheers, man. You're a top bloke. Keep up the good work...


A thank you in return

Post 16

Yossarian

H2G2 has got to be one of the most staggering concepts ever. May it's basic and friendly structure lead to an interesting and complex canvas of though that remains this easy to map.

When I first saw it I was strangly reminded of Neil Stephenson's future concept of Web-Communication described in "Snowcrash."

I would also like to say thank you for the version of Hitchhiker's written for the Apple 2, which I recently found an emulator for and was subsequently delighted with. It made me remember the importance of words and forget the glamour of 3d accellerated graphics.

Nice one Mr. Adams, and I will sponser a Gorilla as soon as my Visa application clears.


as above see below...

Post 17

Bob (Herald to the ACEs)

nothing new to add except I think one of the coolest things about the guide is that it has kept the essence of its fictional counterpart while also being useful. Its nice to have a little humour when your searching for information on something, that way even if you can't find what your looking for you'll still find something amusing. Most encyclopedia type information services are far to po faced and impersonal.Its nice to see something based on such a friendly premise go so far.

Long live the guide and may WAP phones hurry up and get a better keyboards/displays!!!


Key: Complain about this post