Escape Pod Dreams - 133

0 Conversations

The Limited Edition Issue

The New New blob

It is an odd thing that people parrot whatever is spat at them by the PR and advertising hacks, to the point where 'givng the public what it wants' becomes 'giving the public what we already gave them'.

The business world is full of SPECIAL EDITIONS, Limited Editions and numbered editions. What used to occur with lithographs because the quality would erode after too many copies off the stone began to occur with Hummel figures, and later Cabbage Patch Dolls and Matchbox toys. It occurs with SUVs that roll off the assembly line in massive doses and it occurs with fizzy drinks, like Pepsi, and candy bars, like Hershey's. Shoes, boots, jeans and baby carriages. Hamburgers, CD compilations, DVD remasterings of old animated films by Disney, and, and, and, WATER, all come in Special Editions, Limited and numbered editions. All eminently collectable, in an effort to copy the frenzy and the lucrativeness of the scramble for OLD COKE when the Cola company decided to discontinue the original formula for carbonated sweetened battery acid back in the Seventies. The business world wants to create feeding and buying frenzies. It just doesn't know how. They happen spontaneously, for no good reason, which is apropos considering that they usually involve impulse items.

The New New blob

More reasons why 'instant collectibles' become undesireable antiques:

1. 8:57 AM
Sport, mechandising and mob behavior.

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

2. 9:57 AM
guitar solo

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

3. 10:57 AM
It took thirty seconds for the day to turn to mud

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

4. 11:57 AM
'Song of the Errant Plumbing', or, Pipe them Pipes A'right, Laddy!

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

The Escape Pod Dreams Archive

TonsilRevenge

21.09.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A14480561

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more