A Conversation for Mathematics

Mathematics

Post 1

Barton Fink

Surely this entry is a bit misleading- mathematics is relevant to everything in the Universe, simply because you can describe every single thing in the universe in numbers (my big toe, for instance can be described as 23699632), fractals in nature... blah blah... etc. It is Mathematicians who are utterly irrelevant to the Universe. Have you seen the excellent film, PI? Maths was used to make some great drum and bass records on the Soundtrack, but the plot showed how wasting your life searching for the name of God in a number will only drive you mad. Can anyone out there (apart from schoolkids and the irrelevant) remember how to actually do any maths beyond simple calculations? Quadratic Equations, who cares?


Mathematics

Post 2

RangaKoo

I'm doing two maths subjects in my final year of HIgh School and I'm having trouble remembering Calculus and the like!!!!

(Other than that - anything else I say don't count)


Mathematics

Post 3

Sergeant Pluck

I still count, and I'm not a schoolkid, so I guess I'm irrelevant, so I guess I don't count either smiley - winkeye


Mathematics

Post 4

Vestboy

Gonzo, that's not a bar code on your big toe. You need a wash!
Are you saying that people who use maths are by definition irrelevant? Are you saying that irrelevant people only use maths? or are you open to debate and would admit your error if people can come up with some interesting maths stuff that they use on a daily basis?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more