A Conversation for Real Bread-making

Yeast

Post 1

Lightman

A great article.

As somone who makes hot cross buns and breads etc, I find that using Live yeast is prefable to the dried types. It is avalable from Supermarkets that bake on the premisis, ( not the ones who import frozen mixures to bake, so the smell whafts around the store) I just ask at the bakery section. using 15 grams per pound mixture.

I find that a good way to prepaire the tim, is to spread a little fat of choice, and then sprinkle with flour, shake the tim to remove excess particles.


Yeast

Post 2

frenchbean

Hi Lightman smiley - smiley

Yes, I agree about the yeast. But for most people who only make bread occasionally, having the dried stuff in the cupboard is really useful. I actually use Fermipan, which is brilliant, despite being dried!

Good tip about tins. I do that for new tins that haven't yet got black and burnt inside...

smiley - cheers
F/b


Yeast

Post 3

Mag Ratte

Bijou problemette - there are no supermarkets, within less than an hour by bus which make their own bread. Does anyone know of any helpful craft bakeries in S London?


Yeast

Post 4

andrewuk77

lots of stuff here about yeast http://www.bakingmad.com/hints_tips.cfm


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more