A Conversation for Sang Thip and Mekhong Whisky

Mehkong Whiskey

Post 1

JB

Hey, a couple of friends of mine just came back from Thailand, and brought me back a bottle of Mehkong, which I've yet to drink.

Should I worry about the state of our friendship? Are they trying to kill me? Any more stories/cautionaty tales about this particular brand would be appreciated..!

JayBee


Mehkong Whiskey

Post 2

rwd

Hey JB come on! I drank half a bottle of sang thip and most of a bottle of Mehkong and a pint of gay beer in one night and I was fine- well there was no permanent d.d.d.d.d.am..age'.'.'.. DOh!


Mehkong Whiskey

Post 3

Doc

In case anyone was wondering why this Thai whiskey is named after a river running through Cambodia and Vietnam, the river forms the border between Thailand and Laos, and is of fairly important significance to the Thai people. As for the whiskey - it is surprisingly easy to drink, and I am not sure about hallucigenics in the potion, but it certainly contains amphetamines (as does Red Bull and all the other energy drinks on the market, which were originally designed with Thai labourers in mind - the bosses gave the workers Red Bull to make them work longer hours than otherwise humanly possible, leading to poor health and death amongst the workers). So a night on the Mekong will not only get your horribly drunk, but you will be thoroughly charging as well. On my last visit to Thailand (May 99), Sang Thip was no longer available, replaced by the very similar Krong Thip.
On the subject of Thai whiskey, visitors to Thailand should really check out the Thai herbal whiskeys in the north. The whiskey in question is actually rice whiskey, but it is infused with special chinese herbs for 3 months before serving. The herbs are supposed to impart special medicinal properties, and are reputed to not cause hangovers (one bar even offered a money back guarantee to this effect). Each bar will make its own special preparations, with names like Buffalo (increase bodily strength), Eagle (improves concentration), Elephant (improve circulation), Erection (makes them stronger and longer - really smiley - smiley aka Happy Lady (I am not joking)). They are incredibly cheap, and quite drinkable, with a lovely nutty after taste. Each blend has its own special flavour, and many travellers have whiled away their time in the jungle of northern Thailand becoming better aquainted with these whiskeys.


Mehkong Whiskey

Post 4

Geostationary Lucas

Right, you lot. Your problem is that you just aren't drinking Thai whiskey the right way. If you make the effort to prepare yourself and follow these simple instructions you'll soon get the point.

1) First, go to Thailand and find a beach. I'd recommend Hua Hin (a sleepy little resort full of Thai families {and, oddly, Germans}) or Ko Samet, although Ko Samui is OK and probably more exciting for most of you.

2) Sit on the beach, somewhere where you can order food and drinks. Order some seafood, a Tom Yam Goong for preference, a bucket of ice, and a steady supply of nam soda (local soda water is like a bitterish mineral water with extra bubbles).

3) Spend the weekend on the beach, eating and drinking, and snorkelling if you get too hot.

By Sunday night you'll have acheived the same sort of results that Buddhist monks take decades to achieve.

Mmmmmm........serenity.


Mehkong Whiskey

Post 5

ddp(its just my initials couldn't be bothered to think of a smart sounding nickname"

Even though it's known as a whisky it is realy a rum you can try it in my restaurant. its in Scotland and as i am not about to use this forum for advertising let me know your email address and i will tell you


Mehkong Whiskey

Post 6

ddp(its just my initials couldn't be bothered to think of a smart sounding nickname"

Even though it's known as a whisky it is realy a rum you can try it in my restaurant. its in Scotland and as i am not about to use this forum for advertising let me know your email address and i will tell you


Mehkong Whiskey

Post 7

Researcher 232251

Can anyone inform me where I can actually buy Mehkong whiskey in the UK either online or by mail order. I have a colleague in the US who wants me to buy some for him.

Many thanks


Mehkong Whiskey

Post 8

senojllib

cultdrinks.com will supply any quantity in the UK and send single bottles across the pond.smiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin


Mehkong Whiskey

Post 9

LutzBrux

Don't know about Sang Thip, but Mekhong....heaven.
The best thing is that no matter how empty the bottle, it swims (don't forget the screw cap, otherwise the taste and floatability might be seriously compromised)

Best way to drink:
get yourself to Thailand, buy a big bottle of Mekhong (trust me, the small ones are empty just when the fun starts)and find a shallow lagoon. I chose Ko Pha Ngan, the north, but a quiet part of Ko Samui, Phi Phi or any other will do, as long as the water is not more than 40 cm (25 inches) deep.
Best time is midday: lie in the pee-warm water, open the bottle, sip, screw on the screw-top again, and let yourself and the bottle float. Repeat at leasure. Never had such a good time.

As for the halicinogeneous property: when the bottle was empty, I seem to remember to have been saved and carried to my hut by an incredibly beautyful thai girl, and we had awesome sex afterwards.

Remains the question, why my wife always urged me to drink the stuff for the rest of the trip smiley - winkeye


Mehkong Whiskey

Post 10

phuketped

HI,IM PEDRO
IVE LIVED IN THAILAND FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AND DRUNK QUITE A BIT OF MEKONG I THINK YOULL FIND IT IS WHISKY(RICE) ALTHOUGH IT TASTES LIKE A ROUGH SPANISH BRANDY. THE OTHER POPULAR SPIRIT MADE BY THE SAME CO
IS SAENG SOM WHICH IS MORE LIKE RUM. I,M IN SCOTLAND NOW AND WOULD LIKE TO COME TO YOU REST FOR SOME MEKONG AS IM MISSING IT
[email protected]


Key: Complain about this post