A Conversation for The World's Best Curry Houses

None in the USA?

Post 1

Ginger The Feisty

Why do there seem to be no curry houses in the USA? Do Americans not like curry?


None in the USA?

Post 2

Doug Dastardly

Probably something to do with the British empire and the link with India. I guess the US has Mexican restaurant where we would have a curry house.


None in the USA?

Post 3

Ginger The Feisty

They don't know what they are missing!


None in the USA?

Post 4

Doug Dastardly

I know my mate Jim has a very hard time coping without a curry since he moved over there. When he comes home to visit, he always has a curry at least every other night! The popularity of Red Dwarf amongst certain circles in the US has certainly done wonders to raise the profile of curry!


None in the USA?

Post 5

Ginger The Feisty

I'm never moving to America!


None in the USA?

Post 6

Doug Dastardly

That's good, because it would be a hell of a long way to come to visit! I know Jim tried to persuade his workmates to try a curry when they visited the UK, but they all seemed rathe reluctant!


None in the USA?

Post 7

Ginger The Feisty

I am now firmly convinced that all Americans are insane. I think I might be ordering a take away curry tonight - my mouth is watering!


None in the USA?

Post 8

Doug Dastardly

Tell me what you want - I'll deliver! smiley - winkeye


None in the USA?

Post 9

Ginger The Feisty

Vegetable Dansak, Pilau Rice and a nan bread, and don't worry i can pick it up on the way home!


None in the USA?

Post 10

Doug Dastardly

Really? It's a bit of a long trek!


None in the USA?

Post 11

Ginger The Feisty

We have curry houses that do Dansak's here too!


None in the USA?

Post 12

Albamuth

Wrong--there are plenty of Indian resturaunts in the USA. However they are mostly in major cities.

the only place I can think of within 200 miles of myself is Nawab, in downtown Roanoke, southwestern Virginia.


None in the USA?

Post 13

Ginger The Feisty

I only commented because there were no entries in the article for the USA - 200 miles is a bit far to go for a takeaway!


None in the USA?

Post 14

Jonny

There are quite a few places for a curry round these parts (San Jose / San Francisco) of California. Unfortunaltely none of them provide a meal of the standard that I'd expect from a restaurant in the UK. For one thing the vindaloos are actually edible, that can't be right.


None in the USA?

Post 15

Ginger The Feisty

Never been a vindaloo fan but can you get a decent Dansak or balti?


None in the USA?

Post 16

Jonny

Baltis, as far as I know, were invented in England (allegedly Birmingham) and haven't made it out of the country. Not sure about the Dhansak - I'll be up there tomorrow night so I'll let you know. The vindaloo from Sue's (see my other posting in this forum) is very different to what I'd expect from a UK curry.


INDIA HOUSE- Rochester NY

Post 17

Amber

There are at least a dozen Indian restaurants in my small city of Rochester, NY. By far the best are INDIA HOUSE RESTAURANT and INDIA HOUSE VEGETARIAN CAFE. Both are lovely. They have wonderful affordable buffets every day. There are several others in town, INDIA PALACE, INDIA CAFE, RAJ MAHAL


INDIA HOUSE- Rochester NY

Post 18

Ginger The Feisty

Then create an entry and get them added to the article on curry houses. I only commented because none of the ones listed were in USA which surprised me. Curry has become the most popular food in the UK even overtaking traditional fish and chips!


Wednesday night's report (a day late)

Post 19

Jonny

No dhansak to be found.


INDIA HOUSE- Rochester NY

Post 20

kat

This is waaaaaaaay off the subject, but have any of you had a good Thai meal in awhile? MMMMMM it is so yummy with peanut sauce


Key: Complain about this post