A Conversation for The World's Best Curry Houses

The ??? - Bradford

Post 1

The Wisest Fool

Although I believe most of the curry houses in Bradford top anything I've had elsewhere, there is one in a kind of 'mobile home' affair opposite the Queens Hall which does the best King Prawn Dupiaza I've ever had. Hansa(s) just round the corner on Great Horton Roaad does an excellent veggy curry and the Mumtaz is renowned for its Lassis but it's a bit pricey and you have to book. The Kashmir downstairs does filling curries at low,low prices. The Shabina is a good stopgap for a post-club curry in the wee small hours.
Having said that, when I lived in Lidget Green there was a lady who cooked for her huge Asian family who would happily sell you a bowl of fantastic curry for a couple of quid. The town is sheer curry heaven.


The ??? - Bradford

Post 2

The Wisest Fool

Sorry, I was being a bit 'local' there. I mean Bradford, West Yorkshire in England. Not the place in the US where they make Zippo lighters.


The ??? - Bradford

Post 3

Schmorgas

The Rajpoot, in Shipley, a suburb of Bradford has got to be well up there with the best curry houses. Sadique ( I hope that's how you spell it) gives a warm welcome. My particular favourite is Pathia, veg' chicken, lamb etc. Excellent value, though not licenced. When I lived in Carlisle, on the Scottish border, I'd travel the 100 miles on more than one occasion, just for a good curry.


The Rajpoot, Shipley

Post 4

Mr LoGiC

I would agree wholeheartedly with your appraisal of this fine establishment, which is quite conveniently situated for my home in Saltaire. My particular favourite dish is the Balti Kofta (meatballs of minced lamb, chilli and spices, in a rich tomato sauce with chunks of hardboiled egg).

Not sure that I would travel 100 miles to visit it, but the rest of the Universe certainly needs to be informed about the unique qualities of the Kashmiri/Punjabi cusine found in the Bradford area (which includes Shipley, Bingley etc., for the uninitiated reader). It is unlike anywhere else, and magnificent value. The Rajpoot typifies this, averaging £5 - £6 per head for two courses.

The refurbished Shama, also in Shipley, and its sister restaurant in Bingley, are also worthy of recommendation. They are a bit more high class (and serve beer) so are good venues to entertain visiting family members.


The ??? - Bradford (= Sabraaj)

Post 5

Mr LoGiC

The 'mobile home' restaurant that you describe is called the Sabraaj. I hope this will put you out of your misery and enlighten other readers too.

It is indeed excellent (has been for at least 12 years, to my knowledge).

I would also recommend travelling further from the city centre to visit the 'K2' on Lumb Lane. This is a small, basic, Kashmiri establishment but has found its way into Egon Ronay's Guide. However, it is still only £5 to £6 for two courses (July 1999).


The ??? - Bradford (= Sabraaj)

Post 6

The Wisest Fool

Cheers for that. Of course it's the Sabraaj, I was racking my brains without much success.
BTW I'm just about to start a job in York so I'll be moving up that way.
Do you know if York's any good for curry or is it all chintzy tearooms? If not, I may have to get the train into Bradford and kip in the Interchange on a Friday night smiley - smiley


York Curry Houses

Post 7

Mr LoGiC

Well... I can't claim any expertise on York curries. The last time I spent any length of time there was prior to a wedding reception and I drank so much beer I can't remember much.

However, I think it would enrich this Guide to offer links, so you will be pleased to learn that some stout fellow has taken the trouble to compile a most comprehensive York curry-o-pedia at:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/petef/curry.html

Well who would have thought it! There seems to be enough there to avoid sleeping in Bradford Interchange (it's weird enough during the daylight hours...)

Actually I am an avid consumer / cook of curry as well as net surfer, so I have been on the lookout for suitable material. If you want more general information you should surf on down to www.curryhouse.co.uk which I have found quite helpful.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more