World Cup Preview Part 2

2 Conversations

9 June sees the start of the 18th FIFA World Cup. So in preparation for the big event when I will be presenting weekly round-ups from the serenity of Scotland, lets take a look at the four categories of countries taking part, the former champions, the almost resident returnees, the return of absent friends after a break and the new kids on the block.

New Kids on the Block

Of the 32 countries taking part in this years World Cup in Germany eight are taking part for the very first time. Four of the African nations, one from the Caribbean and three Europeans (although to be fair all three of these have appeared as part of other nations in the past).

Angola

Angola were the shock winners of the group which included Nigeria and only won that on goal difference. They then went on to beat Chad in the play-off to make up the African contingent. However, earlier this year, they exited the African Nations Cup at the Group stage. They have only played one of their group opponents before, Portugal, and managed to score the last time the sides met in 2001. However, they have conceded 11 goals over two meetings and are not expected to do much better against either Mexico or Iran. Many of the team have be sourced in Europe as the members of families who have fled from famine or war in Angola's 30 year independent history.

DD's Prediction: Last in Group (possibly even the worst goal difference in Tournament)

DD's Trivia Spot: Six of the Angolian squad play for clubs in group rivals and former occupiers Portugal.

Cote D'Ivoire

African Nation's Cup Winners: 1992

Cote D'Ivoire came through within a group containing Cameroon, Egypt, Sudan and Libya - all more experienced than these debutantes. But they came through despite losing twice to runners up Cameroon. They are tipped by many as Africa's greatest chance this time around but they face tough competition in the group stages with both Argentina and the Netherlands trying to make up for their poor or no show in 2002 and Serbia and Montenegro not wanting to evaporate as a country without some pride. Didier Drogba of Chelsea, Kolo Toure of Arsenal, Didier Zokara of Saint-Etienne and Bonventure Kalou of PSG are all world class players at the core of this African challenge. But I think that possibly the experience of others might be just beyond them this time.

DD's Prediction: Third in Group but only just.

DD's Trivia Spot: Beware the mark of Zorro, Marc Zoro that is. He famously stood up to racist abuse against Inter Milan while playing for Messina earlier this season; he picked up the ball and threatened to walk off. The crowd reaction has caused a major rethink by Italian football authorities.

Czech Republic

European Championship Finalists: 1996

European Championship Semi Finalists: 2004

The Czech Republic reached the semi-finals of Euro 2004 and came through a tough qualifying group having lost to group winners the Netherlands. In the penultimate game they then had to beat Finland away to deny Romania a chance. Then in the play-offs beat Norway 1-0 in both legs. Despite this being the first appearance of the Czech Republic in the Finals since the Velvet Revolution, they have some very experienced players in Nedved, Poborsky, Koller, Galasek and Smicer. If this old guard is fit the youngsters should be able to play off them. The Czech's one worry must be the potential of a second round clash against Brazil cutting their first journey this far to a premature end. Scot's might take an interest in Hearts' Rudi Skacel and see if his scoring streak this season warrants his inclusion in Karel Bruckner's plans.

DD's Prediction: Second in Group beaten in second round by Brazil

DD's Trivia Spot: Czechoslovakia had twice been runners up in the World Cup in 1934 and 1962.

Serbia and Montenegro

World Cup (as Yugoslavia) Semi-Finalists: 1930

Recently a referendum in favour of independence for Montenegro meant that this team, in effect, is on the verge of becoming two. The last vestiges of the former Yugoslavia topped Spain's qualifying group which also contained neighbours Bosnia-Herzegovina and Belgium. However, their reward has been to be placed in what is probably the group of death. Any of the four nations in group C deserve to progress but only two will have that honour. Unlike the other three countries in their group they do not have the big names. However, they might yet turn up a surprise as they did in qualifying by their discipline and hard work. This group might very well end up with all four countries on four points it is that close to call. But I fear Serbia and Montenegro will just miss out when the maths is done.

DD's Prediction: Last in group but deserved better.

DD's Trivia Spot: The last time that Yugoslavia as a whole qualified as a nation for the World Cup in 1990 they went out to Argentina in the quarter finals. Now Serbia's last appearance attached to any of the other Balkan states that once made up Yugoslavia finds itself drawn in Argentina's group.

Togo

Togo started out on their trek to this World Cup by losing to Equatorial Guinea to get into the group stage of qualifying then started that with another defeat to Zambia. From that stage they remained unbeaten on their progress to their first finals. However, the coach who guided them here, Stephen Keshi, was fired in January following the team losing all three games in the African Nation's Cup. He had clashed with Arsenal star Adebayor and dropped him for the first game, but changed his mind and selected him only for the player to refuse to play. While Adebayor won that battle, the war may well be lost for the team and new coach Otto Pfister.

DD's Prediction: Last in Group

DD's Trivia Spot: Cherif Toure Mamam, when he was playing for Livingston, had Sherif on the back of his shirt.

Trindad and Tobago

The players of these tiny Caribbean Islands will seem strangely familiar to a large number of football fans from the British Isles. Currently eight of the squad play in England, six in Scotland, one in Wales while three others have played in the UK or Ireland. They take Northern Ireland's record as the least populated country to qualify for the World Cup. However, experienced hands Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and Shaka Hislop are going to experience something that George Best never did when they play in the World Cup. With such a British-based squad England should beware the Soca Warriors. For them a result against the might of England would be like winning the World Cup and this would be like an FA Cup tie with a giant killer out looking for prey. Overall I think the experience of the other teams in this group should tell in the end.

DD's Prediction: Last in Group but maybe look for Scotland to score first against England.

DD's Trivia Spot: Port Vale's Liverpool-born Chris Birchall is the first white Trindad and Tobago player in over 30 years. He qualifies as his mother was born in Port-of-Spain.

Ukraine

The largest of the newcomers is no stranger to international success. Dynamo Kiev used to dominate Soviet Union Football and twice won the Cup Winners Cup. But this is the first time they have graced the Finals. In 1998 they lost out to Croatia in the play-offs and in 2002 to Germany at the same stage. This time they made no mistake being the first European team, after the hosts, to book their place in the final despite being in a group that contained Turkey, Denmark and Euro 2004 Champions Greece. Andreii Shevchenko may be a stand-out name but not in Oleh Blokhin's eyes. Blokhin treats all his players as equals and Husiev, Tymoshchuk and Voronin all provide ample service for their talismanic striker and captain. They will be hard to beat as they eased through qualifying only losing after they had secured their place.

DD's Prediction: Top in Group H, Quarter Finals Losing to Brazil after beating France.

DD's Trivia Spot: Ukraine are the 25th most populated footballing nation in FIFA but there are more populous countries who have still to make a World Cup Debut. The nine above them are India 2, Indonesia 4, Pakistan 6, Bangladesh 7, Philipines 12, Vietnam 13, Ethiopia 16, Thailand 19 and Burma 24.

Next Up: Time after Time - The countries that are perennial World Cup attendees.

Demon Drawer

01.06.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A12117151

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more