A Conversation for The Nazca Lines - South American Wonders of the World

It's facinating

Post 1

NPY

you have to eonder how they got them looking so well when they couldn't see the bigger picture from where they were making it. I mean like, how did they not get it all dis-proportionate?


It is facinating but...

Post 2

Crowcircle

Just a thought that occured to me because I can draw exceptionally well. I have spent a lot of time thinking about what drawing representationally is and why some people can do it and not others. When I teach drawing I try to encourage people to do it as much as possible because 'hours on the clock' obviously helps but there is more to it than that as some people have an obvious propensity.
Anyway back to my thought as regards the Nazca drawings. I can draw blindfold and I can also draw massive by scuffing with my feet or dragging a stick. I have done it on beaches then looked at it from the cliff tops and the proportions have been ok. I think that drawing is about having a well developed kind of spatial awareness. Perhaps that ability is genetic and the Nazca people had it or perhaps just one of their tribe had it and planned all the drawings. Or maybe they just gave their children the tools to draw and encouraged them a lot.
I am suggesting that it is actually within human capability to create such things as those drawings in the desert without the help of little green men.


It is facinating but...

Post 3

NPY

You could be right. It's something I could never really do.

Though I once heard that everyone can draw, it's just that we kinda train our kids that the more realistic it is, the better it is, when it's all good really.


It is facinating but...

Post 4

junkshopbird

smiley - cheerupso true! As an artist I feel the need to tell people they must at least doodle. Even the people who say they do not have a bone of creativity in their bodies usually end up with a lovely peice once they've put the pen to paper! These lines prove that something does not have to look realistic to take one's breath away.smiley - hug


It is facinating but...

Post 5

NPY

Yeah. Sometimes it's the quirky drawings that are best. Or if you can't draw, you might be a photographer or a musician or something else.

Though I never understood "art" that's a canvas painted one shade of green or a table with a couple of dirty coffee cups on it. Heard of a cleaner in the Tate Modern a few years ago who got into bother for throwing out one of the exhibits. Understandable since it was literally rubbish.


It is facinating but...

Post 6

junkshopbird

I agree about the quirky drawings, although some tend to take the quirkiness to a bizarre and incomprehensible level. Which painting was it at the Tate Modern? That is too funny, reminds me of that Banksy episode a few years back. I'm in California myself (Los Angeles in particular) and the galleries out here can range from simply amazing to simply ridiculous. I went to art school for 5 years and I can attest, it could be miserably tedious to sit through some presentations of peices that were absolutely dreaful. This is the exact reason I think everyone can make art. The ones who do not think they can are modest even if their work is "atrocious" and the artists that make a living doing the "atrocious" things can usually do better, therefor making a mockery out of everybody else!
Its the old stand by "I can draw better than that!" well...whoever says that probably could!


It is facinating but...

Post 7

NPY

I'm not sure what the actual peice of art was called. But it doesn't surprise me.

I saw some odd pieces of art in a modern art gallery in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. One room was full of balls - footballs, inflatable globes, bouncey balls, etc. The artist had collected them in different places he'd been on his travels. Couldn't help wondering if you moved one of the balls a couple of inches to the left, or swapped two round, would it change the whole piece entirely?

Another room had nothing but coloured insulating tape round the floor in concentric laps of the room. A bit odd. Would've looked great in a nursery or playroom.

Down the stairwell was a huge list of names that the artist had made of all the people he'd ever met who's name he could remember. And it's art??

One I quite liked was a collection of models of all the churches in the Edinbugh area made from cardboard. The artist had gone to the yellow pages and got the list of churches. Quite wacky but creative.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more