A Conversation for The Dune Chronicles by Frank Herbert

just a few typos

Post 1

Catachrest

Just a few typos that you might want to correct when you get a chance. Great article!

"... a hard an unforgiving..." >> a hard AND unforgiving

"When a society goes to war, a near messianic figure emerges to 'lead the troops to victory' such as Hitler or Mussolini appears." >> Just take off the word "appears".

" in Herbert's mind the possibility of it being attainable is just not possible," >> this sentence is just a bit awkward; maybe try something along the lines of: "in Herbert's mind, it is unattainable" or "in Herbert's mind, it is impossible to attain."

(in the section on the CHOAM) God Emperor Dune - Not sure, but I think it's God Emperor of Dune.

Footnote 7: "mans reliance on machines" >> "man's reliance on machines";

"Barons ancestor" >> "Baron's ancestor"

Footnote 8: Sentence fragments: maybe try making these into full sentences; they might flow better.

"...at making machines and especially miniaturisation of machines" >> "...at making machines and especially miniaturising machines"

"Often came very close to breaking the rules laid down after the Butlerian Jihad10" >> This is a sentence fragment - try adding "They" at the beginning to give your sentence a subject. Alternatively, you could put a comma after "miniaturizing machines" and change "came" to "coming" to join these sentences together.

There are a few more but I have to go! Again, very good, very thorough article. When I reread Dune and read for the first time some of the sequels, I want to have this article beside me.

SW




Key: Complain about this post

just a few typos

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more