A Conversation for An Introduction to Game Theory

Game theory update

Post 1

Pimms

Please amend so this entry links to A1136260 John Forbes Nash - Mathematician (currently linked to PR version of entry: A1073206)

ta
Pimmsaloonie smiley - winkeye


Game theory update

Post 2

The H2G2 Editors

Fixed! smiley - smiley


Game theory update

Post 3

Baron Grim

I believe this sentence (the first footnote) is not grammatically correct:

"By 'rational' is meant 'logical' or 'decided by reasoning' - one that makes sense if *you assumes* the strategist is aiming to choose the most beneficial course of action for themself."

We seem to have a subject/verb mismatch. Either "one assumes..." or "you assume..." would be correct, however in this case the second 'one' might get confused with the first 'one' in the sentence so I'd go with "you assume..."

Also to avoid a gender issue this sentence also has a pronoun error in that the 'plural'(?) "themself"[sic] is referring to the singular "strategist". I don't believe that 'themself' is an actual word. "Hirself" will be unclear to the average reader so the clunky "his/herself" or "his or herself" would be PC. "Himself" would be grammatically correct if gender bias, but "herself" would be just as grammatically correct and gender bias but would also be more politically correct.

Anyway, that's what I think. Excellent article Pimms smiley - ok. Very nicely done intro to what can quickly become a very complicated and confusing subject. smiley - biggrin

smiley - vampire Count Zero('s a LoONie.)


Game theory update

Post 4

Pimms

smiley - ok Ct Zero The subject/verb mismatch crept in during subbing, but I hold my hands up smiley - blush to the 'themself' at the end, which I used to avoid repetition or a gendered pronoun, and admit isn't in my dictionary either.
How about:
"By 'rational' is meant 'logical' or 'decided by reasoning' - one that makes sense if one assumes that all strategists are aiming to choose the most beneficial course of action for themselves."


Pimmsaloonie too


Game theory update

Post 5

Baron Grim

Works for me. smiley - ok


Game theory update

Post 6

Calculator Nerd 256

no comment
just wanted to add this article to my updates list
i think there is another way to do so w/o posting a comment, but i 4got it
smiley - geek>8^B


Game theory update

Post 7

The H2G2 Editors


Fixed smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more