A Conversation for Computers In Science Fiction - the Basics

The vision of the future most dates a film

Post 1

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

I find it interesting that ideas of the future based on current technology or design cause some SF films and TV shows to look very old.

The communications devices in early Star Trek are massive compared with modern mobile phones, which I would imagine will become invisible as the technology shrinks and they become earrings or implants or whatever.

Also the use of switches, levers and dials on things like Thunderbirds and other futuristic series make everything look ancient.


The vision of the future most dates a film

Post 2

Researcher 244021

Apples and oranges!
Are Star Trek communicators significantly larger than todays handheld devices for talking to orbiting spacecraft?


The vision of the future most dates a film

Post 3

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

Aren't they smaller now than they were in earlier episodes?
Also I think communicators will become more "part of us" in the future. I'm expecting to see mobile phone earrings any day.

You can already get things that you wear in your ear. Back to SF - why would you want something that you could lose or have taken from you when your very survival in a potentially hostile environment depends on your ability to communicate with your colleagues?


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Computers In Science Fiction - the Basics

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more