A Conversation for Pool - the Game

Allison Fisher

Post 1

Baron Grim

The most exciting thing to happen to pool since the mid 90's (in the States at least) is the battles occuring between the top Women's 9-ball players. Specifically Allison Fisher! She came to compete in American 9-ball from being the world champ Snooker player and has had little trouble adapting her game. More so she has made the top American players adapt and improve their games. Just as it was beginning to seem to some (myself specifically among many others) that she had little competition, Karen Corr crossed the pond to challenge. Wow! This is competition. The two are dominating the top championships. And with competition coming from the likes of Jeanette Lee, Loree Jon Jones, Helena Thornfeldt and others, the tv ratings are surpassing most other televised billiard sports in the US by far.

BTW, excellent entry Master B smiley - cheers

smiley - vampire Count Zero, who needs to get his cues retipped and start playing again.


Allison Fisher

Post 2

Mu Beta

Ta very much - I enjoyed writing this as it happens. And given that nobody said anything in PR, I assumed it was a good'un. smiley - winkeye

I have to confess with not being particularly well acquainted with the womens' game, although Michaela Tabb is a fox. smiley - biggrin

B


Allison Fisher

Post 3

Baron Grim

Just a couple of weeks ago I saw a head to head competition between Fisher and Corr. It was a winner take all 9 ball challenge for a $25,000 purse. They tied one match each so it all came down to a one rack tie breaker. Actually with these two it pretty much came down to one LAG. Allison won the lag (by about a quarter of an inch or less), broke and ran the table to win.


smiley - vampire Count Zero


Allison Fisher

Post 4

Mu Beta

It is a bit unfair that way. I think the very least the tournament organisers could've done would be to let Corr have a break and attempt a run-out for herself.

B


Allison Fisher

Post 5

Baron Grim

It was fair... they had each one a race to 7 (or was it 5?) match to tie it up. And both matches were very evenly played. When two players are that evenly matched it might as well come down to the best lag. Of course even winning the lag wasn't a lock on winning. Both had breaks where they failed to pot a ball and during the matches they had several games that both players had to play safe and give the table over so it was no sure thing for Fisher, but she wasn't going to take any chances if she could help it on the tie breaker.
It was a spectacular match to watch. (Allison had apparently been practicing her bank shots and made some spectacular plays earlier).

smiley - vampire Count Zero


Allison Fisher

Post 6

Saint

If you like stories, check out mine!


Allison Fisher

Post 7

Baron Grim

smiley - huh


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more