A Conversation for The History of the Royal Navy - Part 1 (882 - 1660)

The Spanish incursions....

Post 1

dyvroeth

This is a great read.

I think there may be a bit of reinforcing of the myth of the Spanish Armada here, though. Of all people, Michael Portillo, (I guess not altogether an unbiased observer) presented a convincing argument on Radio 4 during April 2006 that the 1588 adventure was one of a series, where the Navy seems to have been more than lucky in keeping the Spanish at bay, over a decade or so. Who says spin is a New Labour invention ?

I am looking forward to the next instalment and reading about the Dutch raids on the Medway in the mid 1660s where, in the words of Tundra's song "The Dutchmen", "Our ships in every harbour are neither whole nor sound..."

Well done.


The Spanish incursions....

Post 2

AlexAshman


smiley - cheers

I'm not sure what happened with the Spanish, so I generally went with what I learnt at secondary school. Portillo probably has a point smiley - ok

The next installment is nearly ready for the Front Page, and I have indeed covered the Dutch - see A11689239


Key: Complain about this post

The Spanish incursions....

More Conversations for The History of the Royal Navy - Part 1 (882 - 1660)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more