A Conversation for MI5 - the British Security Service

nov.2006 Alexander Litvinenko

Post 1

Alfredo




Alexander Litvinenko, a former Russian security officer from the FBS, has died in a London hospital November, 23, 2006, after apparently being poisoned.He was a fierce critic of Russia's government.
Born in the Russian city of Voronezh, Mr Litvinenko first became a security agent in the FSB's predecessor, the Soviet-era KGB, after transferring from the military.
The nature of his job, as a specialist in fighting organised crime, meant he would certainly have made enemies.
.

Litvinenko wrote a book;“ Blowing up Russia: Terror from within”, in which he said that it was FSB agents and not Chechen rebels who carried out the apartment block bombings in Moscow.
The Russian government has always maintained the blasts were the work of Chechen separatists.

Mr Litvinenko was subsequently arrested in 1998 on charges of abusing his office, and spent nine months in a remand centre before being acquitted.


Complaining of persecution, Mr Litvinenko fled in 2000 to the UK where he sought, and was granted,asylum. (great!)

Also in exile in Britain, continued to make allegations about his former bosses.
Perhaps most notably, he alleged that al-Qaeda number two Ayman al-Zawahiri was trained by the FSB in Dagestan in the years before the 9/11 attacks.


He also denounced the war in Chechnya as a crime, called for Russian troops to be withdrawn, and said compensation should be paid to Chechens.
One of his friends - and one of a number of Russian exiles now settled in Britain - is Akhmed Zakayev, a former Chechen commander living under asylum in London.
The two men lived on the same street in London.

Russia has repeatedly sought his extradition.
Just befor his death he made a statement. I’ll take a quote from that;” You may succeed in silencing one man but, the howl of protest from around the world will reverberate, Mr Putin, in your ears for the rest of your life.”
Mr Litvinenko, 43, died on Thursday evening, Nov. 23, 2006 at University College Hospital, London, after being poisoned.



P.S. I - Alfredo - gave his name to a charcoal drawing of mine ;”Alexander Litvinenko 2006”

http://www.gather.com/viewImage.jsp?fileId=3096224743964019


Key: Complain about this post

nov.2006 Alexander Litvinenko

More Conversations for MI5 - the British Security Service

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more