A Conversation for Wedding Etiquette

Weddings in France

Post 1

Whisky

If, by some stroke of fortune (or misfortune) you are British and find yourself being invited to a wedding in France, get into training early...

Unlike your average UK wedding, where everyone has drunk, got drunk and fallen over by 3 am, the French do things a little differently...

For a start they may well have two weddings. The first is in the town hall, and generally lasts about 45 seconds. The second is the more traditional church affair. The reason for this is simple, the Townhall wedding is the only way of 'officially' getting hitched in France, the church doesn't legally count!.

Problems start for your average Brit during the evening. First, everyone sits down to eat. Being France, the food is very important, and it's not uncommon for the meal to last 3 or 4 hours. Then, the dancing, games and general lunacy is quite likely to continue through the night, culminating with a 'survivors' breakfast in the morning (and yes, there are times the Bride and Groom are still there!). For your average, pale-skinned, roastbeef-eating 'anglais', it can be quite a shock to the system when you realise that its 4 in the morning and the party is only just getting started - so take your time!


Weddings in France

Post 2

Bogie

From personal experience, I can recommend that if you attend a wedding in Paris, at midday, in the middle of the summer, in temperatures of up to 35.C, you will need to drink lots of water!!! The civil ceremony I attended was delayed by a previous event... standing around in a town hall courtyard of white flagstones for half an hour almost got the better of me last year.

For anyone planning such an event... have bottles of water on standby for those guests who aren't aclimatised to the hot French weather.

B.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more