A Conversation for Scottish Music - 'Loch Lomond' is Not the Only Fruit

it will only lead to worse things

Post 21

Cosmic

Sorry about that - I got a bit confused with all the conversation criss-crossing each other!

Carry on, don't mind me. Glad to have generated the discussion!

Slainte

Cosmic smiley - cheers


it will only lead to worse things

Post 22

Shipwrecked

Hey, jump in any time you like, Cosmic! smiley - winkeye

BTW, do you know anywhere I can download some Eliza Carthy MP3s? I've listened to some snippets on amazon.com but I'd like to hear some entire songs before I pop for the CD. Some of the other bands' websites you linked in your edited entry had some great MP3s but, alas, Eliza doesn't seem to have any available anywhere!

Shipwrecked


it will only lead to worse things

Post 23

Cosmic

You can get samples from "Angels & Cigarettes" at http://www.elizacarthy.com/ and there's also some real audio files at http://www.folkicons.co.uk/sound1.htm. No mp3's as far as I can se.

Slainte

Cosmic smiley - cheers


it will only lead to worse things

Post 24

Shipwrecked

Drat... I refuse to allow RealAudio anywhere near my PC so I guess I'm outta luck. The 30-second samples from Anglicana that I heard on amazon.com sounded pretty good so I guess I'll just go ahead and buy it. I didn't like what I heard from Angels & Cigarettes, however. It seemed like she was bastardizing her music to appeal to an American audience. There's enough soulless synth-dance-pop out there already.

Shipwrecked


it will only lead to worse things

Post 25

Cosmic

Without a doubt, Anglicana is her best work since "Red Rice" and I would recommend both extremely highly. "Angels and Cigarettes" was a Warner-produced pop album which is not at all bad but is not up to the standard she's capable of. I think she fell out with Warner and is no longer recording for them!

Slainte

Cosmic smiley - cheers


it will only lead to worse things

Post 26

Perseus

Well I bought Anglicana over the weekend, and I think its absolutely fantastic! Without doubt Eliza's arrangement of Worcester City has to be one of the best recordings from any tradition I have ever heard.

Cosmic, thanks for the recommendation. Those of you that haven't yet bought it, do so!

Perseussmiley - sheep


it will only lead to worse things

Post 27

Cosmic

Glad you liked it!

Slainte

Cosmic smiley - cheers


it will only lead to worse things

Post 28

Shipwrecked

Okay, I've just ordered Anglicana and Red Rice from amazon.com (I'm not gonna find them at the local record shops here in California!) I have a road trip coming up next weekend so it will be good to have some new music to listen to. I'll let you know how I liked it.

Shipwrecked


it will only lead to worse things

Post 29

Cosmic

Be sure that you do!

Slainte

Cosmic smiley - cheers


it will only lead to worse things

Post 30

Shipwrecked

Wow!

wow... wow... wow... WOW!!

I've spent the afternoon listening: first Red, then Rice, then Anglicana.

Things got off to a shaky start because I've never cared for the accordion but things got better quickly after that first song! Eliza Carthy is fantastic! And all three albums are so good that I can't even say if I like one better than the other after this first listening. WOW!!

Thanks for turning me on to this incredible music!

Shipwrecked

P.S. ..........WOW!!!


it will only lead to worse things

Post 31

Cosmic

My goodness - I've never known an album cause so much pleasure! Glad to help - don't stop there. There's loads of other stuff to check out!

Slainte

Cosmic smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more