A Conversation for The Tatra Mountains of Poland and Slovakia

Food wanted!

Post 1

Beatrice

I urgently need some examples of typical Polish and Slovak food!

Well, when I say "urgently", I mean I'm co-hosting a Eurovision party and plan to serve the food of whatever nation is currently performing at the appropriate point.....


Food wanted!

Post 2

Ashley



http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/usrkepolishdumplings_9692.shtml

smiley - ok


Food wanted!

Post 3

Metal Chicken

As I remember it from my recent visit, typical Polish food includes almost anything with mushrooms in it (excellent soups, dumplings and sauces). Those little dumplings in the recipe link Ashley's given you above are good - there are lots of other fillings used too such as meat, cheese and potato, cabbage, even apples for a dessert version.

Borscht (beetroot soup) is typically Polish as well and was served to me once as a delicious cold soup, poured into elegant little cups from what seemed to be a teapot!

Also if you need the typical alcoholic drink for your average Pole - it's vodka every time. Beer seems to be a new innovation they're just starting to get the hang of.

As for typical Slovakian food, it's similar to Poland in that they need lots of stodgy carbohydrates to cope with the cold winters. The typical dish I was served was like a thick and gloopy version of macaroni cheese - tasty and filling but certainly not for a sophisticated feast!


Food wanted!

Post 4

Beatrice

Mmmm...so we have mushroom dumplings in beetroot soup, washed down with Russian vodka and Belgian beer, and some slices of Turkey on Swedish Ryvita bread....


Hands up who wants an invite!


Food wanted!

Post 5

Beatrice

Just back from A778278 , The Worlds Greatest Supermarket, and as I was wandering down the "Wierd food from foreign lands" aisle (only place I can find Heinz baked beans!) I found some lovely looking Polish pickles....


Food wanted!

Post 6

sprout

Pickles?

Polish?

Must have missed that.

If you're going for dreadful 'Turkey' type puns, you could always heat up a tin of furniture polish?

Sprout


Food wanted!

Post 7

Beatrice

yeah, well I am tempted to hand round a full ice-bucket when Iceland are on...but even I wouldnt offer anyone furniture polish.

Yup there were pickled onions, gherkins, some garlicky mayonnaise, some beetroot flavoured mayo..and pickled red cabbage.

Next to that lot were some lovely looking Portugese black olives....


Food wanted!

Post 8

Beatrice

...havent found anything that says "Made in Bosnia-Herzegovina" yet thoughsmiley - sadface


Food wanted!

Post 9

sprout

Are you doing maltesers for Malta?


Food wanted!

Post 10

Beatrice

But of course!

Malta for the Maltesers...sounds like a call to revolutionsmiley - laugh


Food wanted!

Post 11

sprout

Unfortunately, most Bosnian exports tend to be black economy at the moment.

Either not what you'd want to serve at your do, or not labelled...


Food wanted!

Post 12

Beatrice

oooh, fabba-dabba-ding-a-dong!

Found a Scandanavian shop today. Bought Abba brand caviar (I'm not making this up you know!) as well as a chocolate bar called Plopp, and some sweets called Spunk

smiley - laugh


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more