A Conversation for Godspeed You! Black Emperor - the Band

she dreamt she was a bulldozer, she dreamt she was alone in an empty field

Post 1

shrinkwrapped

It's also worth noting the significance of Godspeed to the Montreal post-rock scene - members from GY!BE are in Fly Pan Am and A Sliver Mount Zion (which were mentioned here) as well as Set Fire to Flames and some other acts which I forget (not just spin-offs such as Exhaust or 1-Speed Bike).

I would disagree about the 'highlight of the album', which is of course down to personal opinion. My own favourite would be Chart #3 and the following piece of music ('World Police and Friendly Fire'?. Although Monheim is very good. In fact it's all very good. I think it's probably my favourite GY!BE album, although they're all highly reccommended. Yanqui is perhaps slightly less essential in my opinion.

Has anyone else had the pleasure of seeing Godspeed live?


she dreamt she was a bulldozer, she dreamt she was alone in an empty field

Post 2

neilfish, purveyor of the finest confusion since 1442

I have seen them live smiley - biggrin, GYBE that is of course (and also do make say think, who supported GYBE). Lasted for hours, seemed to exist in another time altogether. Part of the entertainment was just counting how many people seemed to be in the band- every time I thought I'd counted them all anothet one appeared from behind an amp! They also had a flickery movie projection running behind them for the set, with images of what I presume was Montreal. Additionally I saw them in a VERY small venue, capacity maybe a few hundered, so was very close to the action and really felt part of the experience. Can reccomend going to see them to anyone who is even slightly considering it!


Key: Complain about this post

she dreamt she was a bulldozer, she dreamt she was alone in an empty field

More Conversations for Godspeed You! Black Emperor - the Band

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more