A Conversation for The War of 1812

Who won and lost the battle of 1812

Post 1

shagbark

The USA Today Paper on 15 June, 2012 had a front page article on the war of 1812 calling it America’s whatever war. They said in part that the war ended in a tie with only the Native-Americans actually losing. A side note to this was written in the h2g2 article on Indiana, (edited article A87746322 ).
As noted there:
“In a famous battle on the Tippecanoe River (7 November, 1811) the Shawnee were defeated. Later when Harrison ran for President with Tyler as his running mate, the slogan was heard: 'Tippecanoe and Tyler too.' Hostilities continued as the Shawnee, Kickapoo, Winnebago and Pottawatomie tribes allied themselves with Britain against the US in the War of 1812. After several battles, they were subdued and following the end of the war, Indiana was admitted as the 19th state of the union on 11 December, 1816.”


Who won and lost the battle of 1812

Post 2

anhaga

U.S. invaded intending to conquer the Canadas. In 1814, after having large areas of the U.S. occupied by British regulars, Canadian militia units, and First Nations units, borders were returned to their pre-hostility locations.

U.S. invasion soundly beaten back.

If anyone won militarily, it wasn't the U.S.



And, we very wisely returned Detroit.

smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Who won and lost the battle of 1812

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more