Huddersfield Town Association Football Club

0 Conversations

History

Huddersfield was the birthplace of Rugby League, so it was a while before an "Association" football club was set up, however in 1907 the move towards a professional club was made. The first thing was the purchase of Leeds Road recreation fields in 1907 by the newly-formed the Huddersfield Association Football Ground Co. with capital of £500. It hosted its first match, a local semi-final, in March 1908. Six months later Huddersfield Town AFC was launched.

Following a couple of false starts (liquidisation in 1912, and rumours of a move to Leeds!) the team reached the 1920 Cup Final and won promotion to Division One. What followed was unprecedented - Town went on to win a hat-trick of League titles in consecutive years (the first club to ever do so), and they were twice runners-up and twice Cup finalists in 1922 and 1928.

Up to today

Unfortunately the twenties were the glory days for Huddersfield Town and they have received relatively few trophies over the years since then. More recently, in 1993, they were promoted to the First Division, and held their own there, even looking like gaining promotion in the 1999/2000 seasion, only to miss out on playoffs by a couple of points (after having sold Marcus Stewart, a star striker, to Ipswich Town - who did get promoted!). The next season did not go so well, with Town being relegated to Division 2 on the last day of the season by unlikely outcomes in a series of matches. The 2001/2 season saw them in the playoffs to regain promotion to Division One. but their efforts were thwarted. And then they plunged to relegation again in the 2003/3 season, joining the Division 3 teams. Not good.

For more information, and up-to-date news - see http://www.htafc.com/


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1018432

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more