Handkerchiefs: pocket sized towels

2 Conversations


If you have found that people look at you strangely while walking down the street, or sitting down to dinner while out on the town; it may be due to the fact that a lot of people are still not aware that a towel is the most infinitely useful thing in the galaxy, and that only a fool would be caught without one. However, until such a time as the population at large can come to terms with this fact, situations may arise when carrying a towel is socially unacceptable.

Such situations can include:

  • Giving witness in a court of law
  • Your wedding
  • Business proposals
  • Marriage proposals
  • Ratification of government documents
  • Most formal dinners
  • Most fancy restaurants
  • Bringing your own towel to the barbers
  • Delivery rooms
  • Funerals

In these and many other situations, when carrying your towel is no longer a viable option, and you have no briefcase or backpack to stash it away in; a handkerchief is the perfect solution. Think about it, a handkerchief is a small, lightweight, easily pocketed and socially acceptable towel! Any well made handkerchief affords the conscientious hitchhiker many of the innumerable benefits of a full sized, plush, bath towel.

A handkerchief may be used:

  • To dry small objects
  • To blow one’s nose (though this tends to put it out of commission for the day)
  • To clean things; shoes, cars, eye glasses (unless already used to blow one’s nose)
  • A tiny table cloth, for the illusion of hygiene (unless…)
  • As a very small sail for a very small boat, quite handy for a very small person
  • As a blindfold, for obvious reasons
  • As a tiny whip, if wetted and twirled
  • An impromptu bandage or tourniquet, after an especially intense whipping duel
  • As a hat (Tie a knot at each corner to make a curved surface that a human head will fill quite nicely, tighten to fit)

A handerchief can also offer benefits similar to those Douglas Adams described when he said that a non-hiker will see a person "who can hike the length and breadth of the [planet], rough it, slum it," and still know where his towel is, as clearly someone to be reckoned with. Although a handkerchief may not have as great an impact on non-hikers, as a well informed one might think, “Well sure, this guy's hiked the length and breadth of the planet and still has his hanky, but does he know where his towel is?”


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1003537

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more