A Conversation for Tips on How to Live in a Shared Household

Living with strangers

Post 1

White Hart

Unlike a lot of Researchers here, in my house-sharing days I preferred to live with people I didn't know. I have found friendships permanently damaged by one person's failure to do the washing-up; with strangers, it is easier to say something, and easier to keep it on a polite level. Also, if your housemates are not your best friends, it's much easier to be anti-social and stay in your own room reading if that's what you want. Your friends may interpret this as being in a mood; housemates you only know through the house will just think (correctly) that you want some time to yourself.


Living with strangers

Post 2

TeaKay

I live with 3 people- one was a friend before I moved in with her, one I knew vaguely through said friend, and the other was someone none of us knew at all, so I guess I've got an example of just about every possible arrangement there...

Point is, Jenny and myself are still good friends, and I have now made what I consider to be good and strong friendships with the other two. Cat is leaving at the end of the year, and I can see us all staying in touch with her, and we'll all be sorry to see her go. Of course we all have our gripes, but I think the important thing is to allow other people to make mistakes as they allow you.

It's very important that if you do have a serious problem with something that a housemate has done (or not, as the case so often is), then you must bring it up. It is important that you are not confrontationl, and a good idea to find out if there is anything that you are (or are not) doing which is annoying that other person- this also has the benefit of making your conversation not seem like a moan.

In short, don't let things brew or they'll just explode out of control in the end.

TKsmiley - pirate


Key: Complain about this post

Living with strangers

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more