A Conversation for The Four Elements of Hip Hop

King Tubby

Post 1

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Many people would argue that it was in fact Lee 'Scratch' Perry who invented dub back before King Tubby. Whilst Tubby was a leading (and fantastic) early pioneer of dub, he was most certainly not the originator.


King Tubby

Post 2

Gubernatrix

Who then was the originator? I have read that King Tubby invented the technique whilst working as Duke Reid's master cutter in the Treasure Isle studios.


King Tubby

Post 3

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

I have heard and read in numerous sources that Perry created the first dub mixes while working as a producer for Clement 'Coxsone' Dodd but there is much argument about which of the two master producers was the creator due to the rivallry between Reid and Dodd from their soundsystem days through their creation of their own record labels and culminating in the work of their producers.


King Tubby

Post 4

Great Ceasers Ghost

I think you will find that the Birmingham group 'UB40' and in particular the soul singer Ali Campbell invented the dub sound.


King Tubby

Post 5

Gubernatrix

Are you having a laugh?
smiley - laugh


King Tubby

Post 6

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Hahahaha! Did you know that Ali Campbell's weed is Jamaica's 3rd most valuable export after Bob Marley and cocaine!

He smokes an industrial skip-full every week.


King Tubby

Post 7

Great Ceasers Ghost

Am I having a laugh?

What makes you say that.

I was bowled over when I first heard Campbells 'Reggae' sound. The man is a true pioneer. I have, on the other hand, little or no recollection of a 'King Tubby' so he must be a minor player in the UB40 story. How soon after 1987 did he jump on the bandwagon?


King Tubby

Post 8

Gubernatrix

smiley - laughsmiley - laugh


King Tubby

Post 9

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Have you heard the scandalous smear going around saying that Mr Ali Campbell did not in fact write Red Red Wine and that he performed a cover version with the legendary UB40s?

It is truly a shocker.


King Tubby

Post 10

Mycelium


"How soon after 1987 did he jump on the bandwagon?"

about 1974


King Tubby

Post 11

Great Ceasers Ghost

Stuff and nonsense

Ali Campbell was born far before 1974

I think you need to do your homework, my friend


King Tubby

Post 12

Mycelium

homework?

i'm part of a reggae soundsystem (a977899) and we play plenty of dub versions, we DON'T play any UB40 (for a bloody good reason). the dub sound started in jamaica long, long time afore 1987, trust me.


King Tubby

Post 13

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

That's a bare-faced lie my friend! Dub officially began with the Ali Campbell dub-a-muffin mix of Rat In My Kitchen. That's a fact.


King Tubby

Post 14

Mycelium



and what year was that?


King Tubby

Post 15

Mycelium


I have here in my hand King Tubby & Cornell Campbell's "Natty Dub" (on Creole Music), released in 1975.

Rupie Edwards' single, "Ire Feelings (skanga)" reached #10 in the UK in 1974.

The albums "King Tubby Meets The Upsetter At The Grass Roots of Dub", Prince Far I's "Dub To Africa", Augustus Pablo's "King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown" and Joe Gibbs' "African Dub" were all released between '73 and '77.

Lies?


King Tubby

Post 16

Great Ceasers Ghost

I always preffered sting anyway.

A true upsetter

Jah


King Tubby

Post 17

Mycelium


smiley - ermyou've been winding me up, haven't you?





smiley - winkeye


King Tubby

Post 18

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Altogether now;

there's a rat in my kitchen what am I gonna do...


King Tubby and all the other stuff

Post 19

JT Rocketfellah

For someone who was so opinionated about their Peer review on my article you sure know absolutely nothing about hip-hop.

...could it be possible you know nothing about Tangiers too?

smiley - tongueout


King Tubby and all the other stuff

Post 20

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

What are you talking about? Please try to have a point.

Next you'll claim that Malcolm McClaren didn't invent hiphop.


Key: Complain about this post