A Conversation for The Dangers of Mixing Bleach and Ammonia

pissing in the bleach bucket

Post 1

highcamplitude

I thought I knew enough not to ever, ever do this, but today I found a way to do exactly this!

I was working at home on the computer, and needed to take a pee break. Trying to minimize water use and be green, lately I've been watering the patio garden with gray water mixed with pee. The plants love it. I didn't tell my husband, even though he would support it since, well, I don't discuss my bathroom habit in general, no matter how green they are.

Earlier, I had had to put bleach water on the patio, to neutralize some cat spray that had happened out there. Not wanting to waste anything, I'd put the pitcher of about 2 cups remaining bleach water back in the sink, to throw into the shower or finish cleaning the sink with after doing the dishes.

Later, when I grabbed the pitcher to take to the bathroom to pee, I'd forgotten I'd left bleach water in it, so when I saw the liquid in the bottom, I thought it was just gray water from the kitchen, which would be fine to pee into and put on garden plants.

After peeing into the pitcher, I noticed it bubbling. "That's odd," I thought. Then suddenly I realized, "Oh shit! It's ammonia and chlorine bleach!" I held it away from me and looked the other way as I held my breath and quickly dumped it down the toilet and flushed.

Good thing it was relatively dilute - but still! That stuff reacted dramatically, and fast!

You can bet my husband isn't going to hear about that episode, for sure!


Key: Complain about this post

pissing in the bleach bucket

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more