A Conversation for Olbers' Paradox

No Paradox

Post 1

alji's

Because the assumptions are wrong there need not be an answer.

<quote>
Olbers made four assumptions: (1) space is Euclidean; (2) the laws of physics that apply on Earth apply to the Universe as a whole; (3) the Universe is static (i.e., neither expanding nor contracting); (4) the Universe is spatially and temporally infinite. It is now believed that all four of these assumptions are either incorrect or inaccurate.

<quote>
the Universe is not exactly homogenous: it contains galaxies distributed in a complicated hierarchy of large-scale structure.
e.g. The Great Wall - A sheet of galaxies which stretches more than 500 million light-years across the sky.


Alji smiley - zensmiley - wizard(Member of The Guild of Wizards @ U197895)smiley - surfer


No Paradox

Post 2

Toxxin

Would you care to expand on your point 2). Don't the laws of physics as on Earth apply in Earthlike environments everywhere?


No Paradox

Post 3

alji's

2 does not refere to Earth, or earthlike environments. It is the phisics in the universe. e.g. the speed of light.

Alji smiley - zensmiley - wizard(Member of The Guild of Wizards @ U197895)smiley - surfer


No Paradox

Post 4

Toxxin

< (2) the laws of physics that apply on Earth apply to the Universe as a whole >

I seem to see 'Earth' in there! Can I be imagining it? What would be wrong with your observation even if it were, in fact, there?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more