A Conversation for Chess

Kasparov - Sting

Post 1

Researcher Rhys Tranter

On June 28th 2000 Garry Kasparov was challenged by Sting and the rest of his band to a duel. A chess duel, as a matter of fact.

Garry Kasparov, as I am doubtless that many will know has been World Chess Champion of some sort or another since his victory over Anatoly Karpov in 1985. He was born in Baku, which stands next to the Caspian see and considers himself a Russian (a pointless fact when considering the subject of this article, but there you go, I felt like throwing it in somewhere).

Sting is a pop singer who obviously has a reasonably keen interest in the game, hence is decision to agree to a match with reigning world champ!

The chess tournament between Garry Kasparov and Sting (and the rest of his band) was a celebration event to round off Kasparov's Internet based World School Chess Championship, which he has held on his official chess web site (www.kasparovchess.com).

After a gruelling battle however, Kasparov did manage to beat all of his opponents in this special simultanous display of both guts and ability.

A full report may be found at Kasparov's aforementioned web site.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more