A Conversation for War and Protest - the US in Vietnam (1972-1975)

Well done

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

I've now read all of these and I just wanted to say that it was just the sort of thing I've been looking for for ages. Clear, concise, to the point... everything.

great.


Well done

Post 2

SrD

I agree. Something I've ever searched ábout this war, it's not like the Rambo-style movie, book or anything...


Well done

Post 3

David Conway

smiley - blush

Thank you, SrD, and I"m sorry it's taken me this long ro respond to you. I left h2g2 in a fit of anger before this series hit the front page and have only recently returned.

These entries actually started life as a simple entry about Operation Dewey Canyon III, so my emphasis was on the protest movement - the bits about the war itself were added as a backdrop, to put the anti-war movement into its proper context.

0


Well done

Post 4

SrD

Hi, I would like to ask some more about your entry, hoping that You have time for answer ...

1. I felt that the description of the war was rather a background. Could You send some info on resources about the War in Vietnam (www or conventional books/papers) ?

2. I've learnt that this war had a big influence not only in USA, but also in the whole Western and Eastern world. Don't You eventually know any books/essays that write about it? (For example the war's influence on the prestige and fame of US Armed Forces, US Politics)

3. I don't know much about the american literature after the WWII. I read only Kesey, the 2 Kerouacs, Steinbeck. Could You mention some of the writers which wrote about Vietnam or about US after Vietnam?

I would be very thankful, if You could help me. And if I can help You in anything, just write... (I know some about WWII, History of Europe (especially Hungary), and about continental law)

Thanx for the message,
Srd


Well done

Post 5

Deidzoeb

There are a few books by Vietnam veteran Tim O'Brien that might interest you, SrD. He wrote a collection of short stories or vignettes titled "The Things They Carried" (possibly non-fiction or based on real events?), as well as a somewhat surreal novel titled "Going After Cacciato." Both of them deal with the war in Vietnam.


Well done

Post 6

David Conway


For online resources, I'd suggest the following...

http://vietnam.vassar.edu/vietnamlinks.html

This site, run by Vassar University, offers a large number of links relating to the bothe the war and the country.

http://www.vietvet.org/

This one offers a veterans' perspective, and links to

http://www.vietvet.org/visit/px/bookint.htm

which lists a large number of books written about the war.

http://www.arts.adelaide.edu.au/personal/dhart/responsestowar/lecture/20thcother/vietnamusa.html

May offer you a few leads on resources relating to the impact of the war on society.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for War and Protest - the US in Vietnam (1972-1975)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more