Bara Brith (Welsh Tea Bread) Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Bara Brith (Welsh Tea Bread)

4 Conversations

Bara Brith is an old Welsh family recipe; it's easy to follow and the end product is simply delicious. Please measure using a normal-size coffee mug.

Ingredients

  • 2 mugs dried mixed fruit (such as currants, sultanas, candied peel, etc.)
  • 1 mug soft brown sugar
  • 1 mug warm black tea
  • 1 egg
  • 2 mugs self-raising flour

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 150°C, 300°F, Gas Mark 2.

  2. Grease and line a loaf tin.

  3. Measure out the mixed fruit and soft brown sugar and place in a bowl, add the mug of warm black tea, mix together. Cover the bowl and allow to stand overnight.

  4. Beat the egg and stir into the mixture. Mix in the flour gradually, making sure it is well mixed.

  5. Place the mixture into the lined loaf tin, place in the centre of the pre-heated oven and cook for approximately one and a half hours. To check to see if it is finished, use a skewer and ensure that it comes out clean from the centre of the loaf.

  6. When cooked, remove the loaf from the tin and allow to cool.

  7. Bara Brith is best served sliced, spread with butter or margarine.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A615070

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more