A Conversation for How to Make Elderflower 'Champagne'

Cloudy and full of gunk

Post 1

iamthefly1

Hi,

I made Elderflower Champagne according to River Cottage Bloke's Recipe only I added a few handfulls of wild rose petals as well.

I only left it to ferment in a bucket for 2 days and there was only a little foam when I bottled it a month ago. Now its all cloudy and full of pale yellow gunk sitting at the bottom and floating around in clumps and tiny cob-web strands.

I opened a bottle and it was really fizzy.
I sniffed it and it smelled wonderful.
I dipped my finger into it and it seamed OK.
I took a sip and it tastes great.

The yellow stuff could be yeast, is it safe to drink?

thanks.


Cloudy and full of gunk

Post 2

Bookbren

This is yeast from the elderflowers and you may wish to re-think your filtering...buy a jelly/jam bag from a large chemists or from a wine dept at your local store or supermarket.I use 2 large hankies in the funnel and it seems to work.
*You need the yellow in the bottom of the bottle smiley - magicas this was the worker that made the Fizz!
Also..why the rose petals??This reminds me of age 6 perfume/slime made under the bed.
If the champers is too dry for your taste try a little blackcurrant juice (non-alocholic Kir) and fight off the takers.


Cloudy and full of gunk

Post 3

sarahpjwhite

I agree with the extra filtering suggestion. I buy bulk packs of Jay cloths (as they're really cheap and you can throw them away afterwards). I double layer them too. Be warned though, if you're using them for recipes that need you to squeeze all the juice out, like Elderflower Cordial (I've a collection of recipes for Elder at http://www.theelderbook.com), you have to be careful the often warm/hot gunk doesn't spurt out the top and cover you (covered my daughter with jam gunk before now!)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more