A Conversation for Synaesthesia

Altered states of consciousness

Post 1

AgProv2

I get synaesthesia while in the hypnogogic/hypnopompic state - ie when surfing the cusp between the sleeping and waking state and not fully in either.

Here is where you recognise that a different mind has taken over the control room and different rules apply.

You discover that "hallucinations" happen that incorporate and blend all five senses together.

Not just the most obvious - visual - but also the less apparent ones that hardly ever feature in normal dreams, ie taste and smell. I can be lying in bed and I will smell new-mown grass, for instance, even though I'm miles away from any lawns or lawnmowing. This has, for some reason, a strong affiliation with the colour yellow and not as you might expect green.

Perhaps a synaesthete is one who carries aspects of the hupnopompic wirth them all day throughout normal waking?


Key: Complain about this post

Altered states of consciousness

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more