A Conversation for 'The Complete Robot' by Isaac Asimov

The robots

Post 1

Casanova the Short

I wrote all THAT? Blimey, I have been busy smiley - winkeye!


The robots

Post 2

Pastey

And a joy it was to edit and readsmiley - smiley

Although I did have to dig out my old copy of The Complete Robot to get the Laws rightsmiley - smiley

smiley - fish


The robots

Post 3

The Cow

He invented the word 'Robotics', by the way...

Can we use ... tags (or similar) in GuideML?


The robots

Post 4

HollePolle

Good question!
Just participating, because I also want to know about that!


Rule Zero....

Post 5

Crescent

...in one of his later books (one of the later Foundation ones I think) one of the Robots had a new law, Law Zero. Coming before the others it says that 'A robot may not harm, or through inaction allow harm to befall, humanity' or something along those lines. The first law then becomes 'A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm, as long as it does not conflict with Law Zero' etc. This was used to explain the disappearance of the robots etc. I have carried this useless fact long enough smiley - smiley Now I can lay my burden to rest smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent


Rule Zero....

Post 6

Casanova the Short

I thought that useless information was the whole point behind the Guide! smiley - winkeye


Rule Zero....

Post 7

Casanova the Short

I thought that useless information was the whole point behind the Guide! smiley - winkeye


Rule Zero....

Post 8

Casanova the Short

Ooops double clicked on Send smiley - sadface


The robots

Post 9

BigEric

Thanks for a pleasant, and I thought accurate, precis of Isaac Asimov's early works. I read them as a boy 30+ years ago and enjoyed them because of their scientific bent. My view is that scientists write better speculative fiction than arty farties (Tom Lehrer is another example - I understand his works which include classics such as "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" and the "Periodic Table of Elements" are enjoying populist revival). Did you see the recent(ish) film called "Millenium Man" starring Robin Williams? I noticed it drew on IA's Laws and thought it was charming, and true to the Master's speculative vision. I was pleased to have watched it because it, like Asimov's early works, contained a moral which provokes greater thought.

Oh, and the final observation: did'nt the great man get things charmingly wrong! He assumed that microprocessor development would be mirrored by the rate of development in other technologies, particularly the mechanical bits and bobs. He couldn't see that the future would consist of countless clever little doodads in countless locations - he foresaw few clever creations moving around. Which just goes to show how Man consistently gets priorities wrong in technological development.

And at this point I would refer you to the blessed DNA's piece about his lifetime experience of the development of computers - which again I found fascinating and thought-provoking.

With best wishes and apols for the lengthy reply : it was your fault for getting me over-excited !


The robots

Post 10

Casanova the Short

When you say Millennium Man, do you not mean Bicentennial Man? If so (which was a film starring Robin Williams), then no I didn't see it, but I read the book. It was in fact a short story also called "Bicentennial Man", by a very good author called Asimov whom I can heartily recommend.


The robots

Post 11

The Cow

Yup, indeed.

'Where the ego's run wild and free'... hmm... I wonder who *that* could be smiley - smiley


The robots

Post 12

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

I have to say - fantastic entry! It's provoked many fond memories and I think I'll be off down the bookshop over the weekend....

And as soon as I think of something intelligent to add I'll be back!

(the terminator pun wasn't intentional, btw......)

smiley - smiley


The robots

Post 13

Casanova the Short

(sits and stares at the monitor for five minutes, trying to think of whatever it was he was about to write....)

Well, I'm really pleased that everyone likes this entry! smiley - bigeyes So pleased, in fact, I've gone bug-eyed. I only write these things in the odd bit of spare time I get, and didn't really expect there to be much response. Thanks everyone!!! smiley - fish


The robots

Post 14

BigEric

Thank you, Casanova. I stand corrected (and humbled) by your superior knowledge.


The Cow

Post 15

BigEric

You been grazing on the wrong sort of grass, Cow ?

Nice to hear from you again.

Keep smiling


The Cow

Post 16

The Cow

Hydroponically enhanced smiley - winkeye


The Cow

Post 17

$u$

It is indeed 'Bicentennial Man', and it's out on video now, and I watched it last night.smiley - smiley

Then 'coincidentally' I found this brand spanking new entry on Asimov's robots! *of course, nothing ever happens by chance*smiley - winkeye

Now to add my new thread, 'The Positronic Brain'...

~A~


Tags

Post 18

HollePolle

I found out myself. Name-tags do work!

HP.


Tags

Post 19

Uncle Heavy [sic]

Do you fancy doing a timeline/precis of all Azimovs robotic works? I love them, but they're hard to find


Tags

Post 20

The Cow

Also, which short stories are in which books... tried to find 'Robot AL-xx goes Astray' for a b/day pressie...


Key: Complain about this post