A Conversation for Llanfairpwll­gwyngyll­gogerychwyrndrobwll­llantysilio­gogogoch, Anglesey, Wales

Official Name

Post 1

manolan


I know you refer to what locals call it, but also worth mentioning that the official name (used by government) is either Llanfairpwll or Llanfair PG.


Official Name

Post 2

Lux Rothchop (wouldn't it be great if people were nice to each other for a change?)

My sister used to live in Llanddaniel, nearby, and she always called it Llanfair PG. I'm not sure if that version of the name is only used by the English-speaking minority locally, or if Welsh speakers say something similar, but many towns in Wales have two names, depending on which language you're speaking.

Lux


Official Name

Post 3

manolan


Well, I can't comment on local usage, but Llanfair PG is the *official* version in the sense that it is what government use.

Generally, the two versions are because one is anglicised and the other isn't: Caerdydd and Cardiff; Pen-y-Bont and Bridgend.


Official Name

Post 4

Huw B

As I understand it, Llanfair PG is what is used by all locals in both languages - for the sake of convenience, you understand!


Official Name

Post 5

Researcher 157421

According to the Guinness Book of Records, the official name consists of only the first 20 letters, i.e. Llanfairpwllgwyngyll


Official Name

Post 6

Researcher 157421

According to the Guinness Book of Records, the official name consists of only the first 20 letters, i.e. Llanfairpwllgwyngyll


Official Name

Post 7

manolan


Maybe, but according to Anglesey's website (http://www.anglesey.gov.uk/english/council/parish.htm) the parish is Llanfairpwll.

And according to http://www.kovcomp.co.uk/anglesey/index.html:

'Anglesey also has the village with the longest place name in Britain: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. The name, when translated into English, means "The church of St. Mary in a hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and near St. Tysilio's church by the red cave". The name was actually coined in the nineteenth century to attract tourists to the Island. It is abbreviated to Llanfairpwll or Llanfair P.G. by the locals.'

I think the first one is the more convincing.


Official Name

Post 8

Z

When I lived in Llandudno, (okay not really anway near but still Wales) nearly everyone I knew refered to it as Llanfair PG.


Official Name

Post 9

Andrew_Debbie

I live in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll,

BBC Wales news readers say Llanfairpwll. Locals say Llanfairpwll or Llanfair PG.

Royal Mail postcode finder says the correct address is

LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLL
LL61 ...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more