A Conversation for Uranus

Update Forum: A12186092 - Uranus

Post 1

shagbark

Entry: Uranus - A12186092
Author: shagbark - U170775

planetary entries get out of date. Here is my attempt to bring this up to date.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 2

shagbark

The author of the original article is still active in h2g2.
hopefully she will let us know if there is something she wants in the official edited entry.
I am hopeful that my article on William Herschel will become part of the EG soon so we can link to it from this article.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 3

Jimi X

I didn't understand the ordering of the moons...

Could you make them by year discovered?

Right now they seem a bit scattered. smiley - erm


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 4

shagbark

I can put this back in my spreadsheet and rearange them.
the second column is what I had been sorting on starting with the smallest and going to the largeset. If you prefer chronological OK.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 5

shagbark

Just so everyone understands- the article this would replace is A396713


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 6

shagbark

it will be tommorrow before I get around to straightening this out. bear with me please.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 7

shagbark

As promised the moons are now in chronological order- shagbark


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 8

shagbark

also in the facts column- stating the sidereal period in days created some confusion as to whether we were talking Uranian days or earth days.
I have solved that by making it list in years instead.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 9

shagbark

Note references in margin- these are new smiley - biggrin


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 10

J'au-æmne

Hiya, I'm on holiday this week and haven't had much 'net access, so apologies for being slow to get to this thread!

I like what you've done smiley - ok

The few things I'd change on the new version are:
1. First line - you got rid of saying it's a gas giant, which, Imo, leaves that sentence unbalanced. I know it's repeated later on, but can that go back?

2. "As d2k progressed..." - I've never heard it called that before! Is this a standard way of refering to this decade? I've not seen it on the edited guide before, but then again I've not been reading much recently. There's something about that sentence that seems a little awkward to me, maybe because we're still in this decade but it refers to it in the past tense.

3. You could put a footnote to describe what adaptive optics is. Although actually, I think it would merit it's own entry...

4. In the Rings and Satellites section, instead of "At the time this article was updated" you could have "As of 2006", which would avoid the extra footnote (although detractors may point out it is a little wikepedian smiley - winkeye)

Oh yeah, and you also didn't capitalise Voyager 2 once in the planet section (nitpicky? moi? smiley - devil)

Other than that, great job smiley - cheers It's good to see stuff being updated, it was such a long time since I originally wrote this!


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 11

shagbark

d2k is my own contribution to the english language.
Just as y2k was the first year of this millenia so is d2k the first decade. this avoids using terms like " the naughts" or this decade
(which we can't use anyway because articles are supposed to be time neutral not saying things like during the past year.)
I can make the other changes you suggest and I am hoping to get a link to an article on William Herschel that is currently languishing in Peer Review.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 12

Skankyrich [?]

'd2k' would certainly be edited out at the subbing stage, so you might as well change it to another, more standard term for the decade rather than have the change foisted upon you.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 13

shagbark

I'm sure there were people who also objected to the term y2k
and if the editor can think of a better name for the decade let him use it. In my mind this is the best term.
Meanwhile I just found a bbc link for Adaptive optics which is going into a footnote smiley - smiley


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 14

shagbark

And if the editors are going to object to things I would think they would object to the footnote on 'your anus' five years ago that might of passed muster but today? I doubt it.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 15

shagbark

lets see
first line...gas giant DONE
Voyager capitolized..Done
As of 2006 well, OK


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 16

Skankyrich [?]

Not bothered either way, shagbark, I was just pointing out the obvious to you smiley - erm Do whatever you like!

*unsubscribe*


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 17

shagbark

smiley - musicalnote the years go by as qyuickly as a winksmiley - musicalnote
can you believe how many yea4rs this article has been in h2g2
If you go the same stretch to the next update it will be 2012 smiley - headhurts just thinking of it.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 18

shagbark

smiley - musicalnotethe years go by as quickly as a winksmiley - musicalnote
If it is this long top the next update will that make it 2012
smiley - headhurtsjust thinking of it.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 19

shagbark

what do you think j'au are we ready for this to replace the oldarticle on Uranus? I'm happy with it if you are.


A12186092 - Uranus

Post 20

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I'll hold off until we get the okay smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post