A Conversation for Major General Sir Henry Havelock (1795 - 1857)

Major General Sir Havelock

Post 1

Ladyshippers

I enjoyed the item about Major General sir Henry Havelock. The entry mentions that he was just one of four brothers and I would like to see them mentioned as well. That is no criticism of the author of the piece, which I thought, was well researched and a very fair summary of Henry's life and times. It is always problematic when looking back at history with our modern eyes and I think the author tackled the subject very well.

I might even polish up my own research and add some history of the other Havelocks' myself.

Lastly a confession - I have a particular interest, and bias re the subject as I am related to Sir Henry. I am not a descendant and the relationship is somewhat distant now but my great, great, great grandmother, Ann Havelock, who married Henry Woolgar. Ann was Henry's cousin being a daughter of Sophia and Thomas Havelock, another military man, being Paymaster of the 43rd Regiment of Foot (Monmouthshire's). Thomas was brother to Henry's father William.


Major General Sir Havelock

Post 2

frenchbean

Thanks for the comments, Ladyshippers. It's a long time since I wrote that entry - and lovely to know that it's not sunk without trace into the annals of hootoo smiley - smiley

It's always a bit of a dilemma to decide how much family history to add to a biog. entry, but I felt that I wanted to focus on the one person as much as possible. It could easily develop into a book otherwise!

Frenchbean


Major General Sir Havelock

Post 3

twinklegentlemanjim

I gather his nickname was 'the grave digger'. Do you know how he aquired this?


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Major General Sir Henry Havelock (1795 - 1857)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more