A Conversation for Common Irish slang

Reference

Post 1

Recumbentman

There is a book "Slanguage - a dictionary of Irish slang" by Bernard Share, published in 1997 by Gill & Macmillan, Dublin. Comprehensive and intriguing. The bee's knees in fact.

http://www.yaelf.com/aueFAQ/mifbeesknees.shtml - surely only the last theory is right: corruption of "business".


Reference

Post 2

Woodpigeon

I would think so - I had a teacher once who thought that "mind your p's and q's" came from the separation of Celtic tribes into P-Celts and Q-Celts.

Eh. I don't think so.

smiley - biggrin


Reference

Post 3

Recumbentman

Teachers are shameless. A Latin teacher told us that a pineapple was so called because it tasted "almost" like an apple. Load of cobblers, but I still remember the Latin for "almost": paene.


Reference

Post 4

sparklingPaulineG

Watching your p's and q's is said to have originated in England.

In the tavern, ale and beer was measured in pints and quarts.
A quart is two pints.

Every time a server drew a drink, he'd chalk a number under the pints
or quarts.

If the barman was listening to or interrupting a conversation where the speakers wanted privacy, they would say, "Watch your p's and q's."smiley - bubbly


Reference

Post 5

Recumbentman

Nice story.

I thought it was short for 'pleases and thankyous'.


Reference

Post 6

Sananda

Hi There,

Just to let you know there's a great slang reference at http://www.slang.ie

It details slang from across the 32 counties of Ireland.

Happy slanging!

S.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more